Help me learn to love (or at least tolerate) my E3Cs
Mar 21, 2006 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

huxbnw

New Head-Fier
I bought my E3Cs about a year ago. While I thought I'd love them, I just cannot stand the feel inside my ear canal. I have tried all the different sleeves, of all the various sizes, even bought the triple flange, and none if it works.

Honestly, I could deal with it being a little uncomfortable, but it's downright painful at times. Plus, they always are coming out of my ears, especially if I'm working out. It's to the point where I wonder if I should even continue using them.

My last hope is that I'm using them incorrectly. Could any of you make any suggestions -- I've followed the Shure suggestions and searched head-fi, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 9
The only tips I am ever comfortable with the E3c is the foam tips. I couldn't even tell you where any of the sleeves are as I could not get any size to comfortably fit and not fall out when I walked. If I didn't have the foam tips the E3c would be useless to me.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 9
One thing I noticed when using my Shures on a recent airplane flight was that to keep the over-the-ear cords secure, I had to "cinch" up the sliding adjuster in the "Y" portion of the cords. A tighter cinch kept the Shures more secure.

You did say that you have tried all the possibilities, so I'll assume you've tried the foamies, which is what I use on my Shures ...

I will second that a less expensive canal phone (Creative, Sony, etc.) using the soft silicone tips might be the simplest solution for you, in terms of snug, comfortable fit, if not sound.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah. The manufacturers try to make their product accessible to as many people as possible - my E4c's came with a bunch of different buds and stuff for me to try - but sometimes, due to the endless variety of human forms, they can't please some people.

Ear canals are weird. I have one that is larger than the other, and in one side, I can't put in the flange-type bud. I couldn't stand them as hearing protection on the shooting range, and I sure as heck ain't gonna wear them when I try to listen to music.

You just might have sensitive areas in your ears that drive you crazy if something is in there. For me, I can't handle over-the-ear clip on type phones like the KSC-75. That stuff makes me want to rip them off and scream before I get a headache or i start barfing.

You might just need to have custom-fitted IEMs, or maybe IEMs just won't work for you. That would be a bummer, but look at me... I can't even enjoy such a fine phone as the KSC-75 because I freak when things clip to my ears....

Good luck, man. I'm sure you'll find something that works.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 9
I am definitely going to give those Comply tips a try -- although they seem expensive for some foam, they look significantly more comfortable than the yellow foamies.

I ended up buying the Audio Technica Titanium earbuds last week. The sound isn't bad, good even for earbuds, but my experience with IEMs and my HD595s really make me want more. I'm thinking of taking them back, getting HD280 Pros for the office, and then buying those Comply tips.

Any suggestions on alternatives.

BTW, I totally love this site. Everyone is always so happy to help and give advice.
580smile.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Depending upon your ear canals, it would likely be helpful to bi-flange your tri-flange. On the E4 I personally really like bi-flanging it so that only the two smallest tips remain (cut the stalk even with the base of the second flange). Others with larger ears prefer bi-flanging so that the smallest tip is removed. YMMV. If you are using the smallet silicone tips then I would guess that the first method would work better for you. If on the other hand you're using the medium or large tips than the second method would probably work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back