Help me in creating a superb portable rig
Sep 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Puro

New Head-Fier
Hello all, Im fairly new here. Im wanting to get serious and invest a decent amount of money in creating an awesome portable rig that I can put in my messenger bag to travel to and from work with.

So far all I currently have are Beyer DT770 pro 80ohms and an Iphone 3G.

I use my Beyers everyday, they go everywhere with me. I feel a little silly on the train wearing them, but I dont care caus I love them so much.

I have been going around in circles with choosing a portable amp. So far I have decided that having a Dac/Amp combo isnt really needed, as I want to concentrate on a pure portable amp. Im from the UK so availability is limited, but I dont mind importing from overseas. Ive read good things about RSA but that would mean importing. I know of a UK website that sells Ibasso products.

I will at somepoint be investing in a desktop amp to use with my pc, this is why I would preferably go for a dedicated portable amp to use with my Iphone. Im thinking about getting some HD 650s when I upgrade my desktop.

Headphone wise I really like the Grado line of cans for use with my iphone. The prestige series seems very appealing to me. However as I am new to this, my knowlage/experience is not that great. Im not to taken on the idea of IEMs, Id much prefer over the head style cans.

I am totaly lost with cables, Is it best to get custom cables made from Head-Fi boardies? What high end Lods and mini-mini cables should I be looking to get? Are there certain brands that are better? Ive seen awesome pictures in the gallerys on this forum of chunky mini-mini cables that looks great.

If the experienced fellas here at Head/Fi could recommend me a high-end portable setup, that would be so awesome. Music that I most listen to Is hardcore punk / rock type stuff if thats much help.

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 10
i suppose a rockboxed H140 with FLAC files, connected via optical to an iBasso D10 with upgraded chips, connected via line-out with Jena wire to a Lisa III amp would be ideal

then choose any headphones you want - if you dont mind IEM's, the JH13-Pro's would round this up nicely

of course, this is just me sticking the best of each stage together into a lump - I have no idea if this synergizes well

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 10
How is the DAC in the iPhone 3G? Don't some people think it's pretty good? Then for the best in an analog chain I would put myself in Drew's hands at moon-audio -- he will re-cable Grados (shorten and terminate with an 1/8th for portable use), match this to the iPhone LODs (I only know his iPod LODs, I assume the same skills transfer to iPhones, no?) that he makes (so you will have consistency, copper or silver throughout), and put it all together with an iQube v1 (you don't need v2, since you don't need a DAC).

It fits perfectly together with the provided rubber stap, and the SQ will blow your mind. Grado SR125i ? Tough enough for street wear. Better? Depends on your budget.

Put rechargables in the iQube, makes life easier.

Drew ships to the UK, no problem.

He set me up at CanJam '08 with an iQube and Ultrasone set-up, re-cabled as above, which I mated with a Red Wine iMod and an ALO cable (used from FS) -- unbelievable. Really helped get me "in" to this world. I also have an RSA Predator, and a custom Mini^3 -- both terrific -- but the iMod+iCube+ALO gets more use (it looks too much like an IED to take on a plane here in the U.S., so I fly with the Predator [and a Cowon i7], and the Mini^3 [with a DIYMod] stays in the locker at the gym).

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you so much for the replies. Im going to check out whats been said and total up some of the prices. If anybody else would like to add, please do. Both the Lisa III and IQube V1 was mentioned. How would one of the RSA poducts such as the SR-71A, or the P-51 Mustang weigh up against the two mentioned?

Thanks once again =]

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

He set me up at CanJam '08 with an iQube and Ultrasone set-up, re-cabled as above, which I mated with a Red Wine iMod and an ALO cable (used from FS) -- unbelievable

The above mentioned ALO cable, is this the cable you are refering to,

ALO Cryo SXC 18G iPhone/iTouch/iPod cable
ALO Audio

Cheers,
Dan

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The above mentioned ALO cable, is this the cable you are refering to,

ALO Cryo SXC 18G iPhone/iTouch/iPod cable
ALO Audio

Cheers,
Dan

An earlier version, no iPhone support, that I bought used. Same idea.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Thankyou Wavoman for your reply to the cable,

Would one hear much of a difference in SQ between the above mention ALO lod and the moon-audio lod range?

ALO Cryo SXC 18G iPhone/iTouch/iPod cable = $195
ALO Audio

and

Silver Dragon Mini LOD Cable - Send Station Pocket Dock to 3.5mm = $95
http://www.moon-audio.com/Images/Silverpocket4.jpg

There quite a hefty difference in price here, does that refect highly between these items? If anybody can throw in some more links to very good cables, that would be great.

I have been thinking thats its probably a good idea to buy a seperate lod and mini cable, so if I do want to swap between portable sources in the future I could just remove the mini cable from the lod and use that on another source.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Would one hear much of a difference in SQ between the above mention ALO lod and the moon-audio lod range?

I don't think you would hear any difference. Be sure you get an LOD that works with the iPhone, not just an iPod. ALO is a better looking build, you pay for that, and probably more exotic wire. Golden ears maybe can hear a difference, I can't. ALO is indeed somewhat expensive -- got mine used.

Both are great companies and support head-fi. Both will take care of you 100%.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For true high end portable with very little compromise, I'm going with JH Audio JH13 and HiFiMan HM-801 FLAC player.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back