Help me identify the possibilities of this Sugden DAC :-)
Aug 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gideonMorrison

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if I can use this DAC to hook it up to my pc. I am not tech savvy at all, and I reckon the lot of you are :wink:. I was/amlooking at a Dacmagic, but since I have this one (and its possibly better) I wonder if I can hook it up somehow to my pc to hook it up to speakers.
I have uploaded a few photo's for your consideration:

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 11
If your PC has a good quality S/PDIF Coax(Copper) output, you could use it to connect to either the BNC or RCA connector labeled CD(you'll have to check your PC audio card/chip specs to confirm what capabilities the S/PDIF has, if you have one)(There are discussions elsewhere on HF regarding the pros and cons of S/PDIF vs USB).. IF you want to use USB, then you'll have to use something like the HiFace or Musiland Monitor 02 to convert USB to S/PDIF to input to your Sugden..  Actually there are lots of USB to S/PDIF converters on EBAY, but those two seem to be the one's en vogue right now..

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your reply! My new pc has s/pdif, fortunately, which will be delivered in a day or two...So that's good. However, the speakers I'm going to buy have XLR and TRS input only. Is there a way to work around that?

Also, what cables do I need... I have two XLRs that would deliver balanced sound, but what should I stick into the Sugden then? 

Confused...

edit: I just discovered that the Sugden AU51 has the famous TDA1541a single crown chip inside. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 11
You need a preamp and amp to use the speakers (or headphones)- the Sugden is only a digital converter. Run RCA cables from the Sugden to an integrated amp like this for instance:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC316BEE

Oops, saw you need XLR- the choices are fewer and more expensive if you need balanced outs. Why don't you get regular, unpowered speakers and an amp like the one above, better value for your money IMO.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Look for a cable with TRS on one end, and RCA on the other.  I found one at Guitar center, but am not sure which ones you need.  There are also XLR to RCA cables.  You will need volume control on the speakers.

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Well, I have a Mark Levinson no.26 laying here... Might be overkill. By the way, Isn't it possible to control the volume from the pc? Since a Dacmagic doesn't have volume control either and would hypothetically work on my rig?

You can control the volume via the PC, and I think in that case, all you need are some RCA-XLR or RCA-TRS cables to connect the DAC to the speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back