Help me get to know my DAC-AH. (280kb pics)
Aug 4, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #136 of 149
Can somebody just confirm that you do not need to remove the op-amps to complete the passive mod ? I removed caps 35 & 36 and substituted with new caps and resistors as per the photo supplied by Tilt in post #5.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #138 of 149
PassiveMod.jpg

Sorry, here it is.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #139 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody just confirm that you do not need to remove the op-amps to complete the passive mod ? I removed caps 35 & 36 and substituted with new caps and resistors as per the photo supplied by Tilt in post #5.

my opamps are still in there (cos i couldn't freaking remove them!) and it's working fine

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #140 of 149
I carried out the mods as in my previous post above. Because I cannot leave things alone I decided to remove the op-amps. After removing them, switched on - - No Sound !

Looked at the start of this thread and connected the caps up where "Tilt" connected his (the holes by C12 & C13) Music again.

Well that says to me that if you leave the op-amps in, they must still be in the signal path ?

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #141 of 149
Well yes, the last picture posted above is not a passive output, it's merely a replacement of the coupling caps. It would improve the sound, but imho the passive out is without doubt the best.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #142 of 149
Hey guys, is there a uF range which I should keep the caps? Would a high quality 1uF cap be a good start? And would it really matter what brand or type of resistor I use that connect to ground? Am I good as long as it's 100 ohm?

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #143 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by VncentValntine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, is there a uF range which I should keep the caps? Would a high quality 1uF cap be a good start? And would it really matter what brand or type of resistor I use that connect to ground? Am I good as long as it's 100 ohm?

The value of the output cap determines the low frequency cuttoff. If your DAC is looking into a 10K input, the -3db point will be 15.9Hz. Scale that up to a 20K input and you get an 8Hz f3. Much better. It's personal opinion, but I find smaller caps sound better/more detailed, so if possible change the input Z of the amp it looks into. Always a good excuse for a high quality pot upgrade.
580smile.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #144 of 149
Okay I've completed the passive output mod, but now I have a question... When playing music, if there is absolute silence or very little music is played i hear this slight crackling in my right ear that is neither constant or consistent. Bad solder? Unbroken-in cap? Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #145 of 149
Quote:

Okay I've completed the passive output mod, but now I have a question... When playing music, if there is absolute silence or very little music is played i hear this slight crackling in my right ear that is neither constant or consistent. Bad solder? Unbroken-in cap? Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance

hmm, yeah check the soldering for cold joint or maybe a short somewhere

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #147 of 149
Quote:

Okay I re soldered everything I soldered originally, still no dice, I should also add that it noticeably lessens through time

it could be bad caps

try reversing the caps and see if it happens in the left channel

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #148 of 149
well damn! I switched the caps and it's still on the right side! What could I do to narrow this down? What numbers should I be looking for? Is it possible the 100k resistor might have something to do with it?

EDIT: Well I fixed it, the cold solder joint was from the 100k resistor to ground... thanks d-cee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back