Help me find a surround home theatre package
Mar 14, 2006 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
I just can't find one...

the only ones I've been able to find that I like
B&W M1
& Polk RM30....

any suggestions from any other hifi manufactors?

I can't seem to get the AE Ergo series, nor any KEF 2005.1
frown.gif

I'm in Calgary AB Canada... if someone can provide any help

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 18
you may have to stay brand consistant but do piece by piece. I have Klipsch Reference which is not the best but it's enough to keep me happy. I'm not in Canada so maybe someonelse can shime in on some local stores to check.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
you may have to stay brand consistant but do piece by piece. I have Klipsch Reference which is not the best but it's enough to keep me happy. I'm not in Canada so maybe someonelse can shime in on some local stores to check.

Yep, that's pretty much how it works. Most companies make at least one bookshelf model and some floorstanding models. Just buy the best front speakers you can with enough left over for some bookshelves that will satisfy you for the rears. Fronts are way more important (IMO, of course, some will disagree with me).

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
I just can't find one...

the only ones I've been able to find that I like
B&W M1
& Polk RM30....

any suggestions from any other hifi manufactors?

I can't seem to get the AE Ergo series, nor any KEF 2005.1
frown.gif

I'm in Calgary AB Canada... if someone can provide any help

So, do you want to build a system from the ground up or go thr HT in a box route?

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 18
I'd prefer to go with a matching set... for asthetic purposes..

I just can't bear to put my martin logan aeons through an integrated reciever .... just to listen to a DTS/EAX signal
frown.gif

This is for my new house, so the family room will house my current member of my family w/ a nice single Mission reclining chair in the middle of it

However... for the living room with my new 60" SXRD tele, I'd like to have a decent statellite home theatre system...

I was also told that the polk RM30's were quite decent, and I can get them for 800 Cdn...
Then again the only ones I liked that I've listened to are a B&W M1 satellite solution... but it's pricy as most of their stuff is

I was just looking for options...
I can get a deal on some Polk LSi9's bookshelves, and I could get 4, and a decent LSI center channel...
I still have my velo HGS-18 sitting around as a coffee table, that I really want to plug in again...

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

I just can't bear to put my martin logan aeons through an integrated reciever .... just to listen to a DTS/EAX signal
frown.gif

This is for my new house, so the family room will house my current member of my family w/ a nice single Mission reclining chair in the middle of it

However... for the living room with my new 60" SXRD tele, I'd like to have a decent statellite home theatre system...

I was also told that the polk RM30's were quite decent, and I can get them for 800 Cdn...
Then again the only ones I liked that I've listened to are a B&W M1 satellite solution... but it's pricy as most of their stuff is

I can get a deal on some Polk LSi9's bookshelves, and I could get 4, and a decent LSI center channel...
I still have my velo HGS-18 sitting around as a coffee table, that I really want to plug in again...

Is there any reason you don't want to use the same system for HT and music? You presumably already have an amp you like for the Martin Logans, so why not just buy an receiver with a pre-out for the home theater? You can use the receiver for theater and your regular amp for stereo. Martin Logan makes center channels too, and I'm pretty sure they make rears too.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

frown.gif

So, I take it you'd like to go the seperates route for your Logans?
If this is what you have in mind and want to keep the costs down look into various pre/pros and amps from Outlaw Audio.

However, I am not familiar with any of the HT in-a-box satellite systems.

Good luck!

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Number one question, whats your budget. Until you nail that down, its hard to find stuff.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 18
my budget? about 2k for the 5 speakers & sub

I found a set of Paradigm Cinema 110's series that is about the biggiest that I will go ....
I hear it's good, but I'm yet to go to the store to find out first hand
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back