Help me find a set of headphones for my dad.
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Palpatine

1000+ Head-Fier
My dad listened to my Beyer DT770/250 ( 2005 ) through my LD Mk III with classical music and loved it. I couldn't get him away from the phones.
He would like a pair of headphones to listen to classical music now.
He doesn't want the fuss of a dedicated headphone amp, so he will be plugging them directly to the stereo amp at his home... so low impedence high sensitivity is a must.
He isn't sure about the open/closed aspect yet.
He's turning 80, so in addition to a very expensive bottle of brandy, the headphones will be his gift. $500 or less for the phones.
I was thinking about the ATH AD900 if he doesn't mind open. Any other recommendations for unamped open phones for classical?
Now how about closed? ATH A700? Others?
Thanks!

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 16
No...I have heard the K701 and K702 unamped...and I don't like them that way.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm sure the stereo amps somewhat... I have a LG home theater and the headphone out is pretty decent, better than say my Zune or sound card. With a $500 budget I would give the AD900s/A700s a miss, how about Sony SA5000... I had the SA3000 and they didn't really improve much with amping but sounded terrific with acoustic and classical, Enya and the likes.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Good idea...I have heard good things about them. I will investigate further. Same drivers in each I have heard...just a few differences in cable, pads, etc.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 16
The Sony SA5000's (from reading on these forum, I never heard them though) obviously have a very different sound character than those Beyers, extremely detailed and I should think pretty cold in comparion with these rather warm and bass driven Beyers.

If your dad liked the Beyer DT770's with classical, why not buy him the 80 ohm version of these Beyers?
Yes of course the DT770's are not considered to be the best for classical music, but if your dad liked them, that's all what counts I guess.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 16
I thought about these, but wasn't sure about being able to drive them from a regular stereo amp, even at their lower impedence. Besides...the guy who does the Darth Beyers uses these to build from and said that they aren't the greatest stock.
I don't find the 2005 edition Beyer DT770 250 ohms heavy in bass. I use them for classical.
Perhaps the 32 ohm version?

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good idea...I have heard good things about them. I will investigate further. Same drivers in each I have heard...just a few differences in cable, pads, etc.

SA1000/3000 share the same drivers, SA5000 is different.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 16
For classical I'd definitley consider primarily open cans for their greater soundstage and somewhat more balanced sig than closed. The AD900 is a sound choice IMO, they have the traits above, in addition to the nice detail and airiness they bring.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 16
How about the (25 ohm) AH-D5000? With a decent solid state push--I used the AMC XIA integrated, the closed D5000 pleasantly surprised me with classical venues. What stereo does your dad have? The mahogany ear cups would make a nice compliment to the brandy, too. : )

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the info.
He has an aging Yamaha receiver, can't remember the model number off hand...as well as a Yamaha CD player single disc style.
Wood ear cups is a brilliant idea!
smile_phones.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the (25 ohm) AH-D5000? With a decent solid state push, the closed D5000 pleasantly surprised me with classical venues. What stereo does your dad have? The mahogany ear cups would make a nice compliment to the brandy, too. : )

These are made by Denon if you didn't know. They could be what your after if the stereo your dad uses has a decent HP out, but if it's crap, the bass may be a little too slow and uncontrolled for classical. You can get them at B-Stock Items - HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones for a pretty good deal I'd say. Also, don't be hesitant with B-Stock items, I purchased my D2000 from B-Stock and they are 100% awesome.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the info.
He has an aging Yamaha receiver, can't remember the model number off hand...as well as a Yamaha CD player single disc style.
smile_phones.gif

If it's an aging receiver, that could be a good thing. Older HP outs actually sound great
smily_headphones1.gif
(at least on my older stuff).

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the info.
smile_phones.gif

Palpatine,
Yamahas usually follow a high current design, which is more good news for the Denon AH-D5000! : )
PAB

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 16
Directly into his receiver eh - think about electrostatics by way of Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back