1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a new set of headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by justinf89, Mar 31, 2013.
  1. Justinf89
    Welcome guys! I've always loved reading some of the posts on here but now I have my own question.

I am in need of a new pair of full size headphones for my pc. I went from a 5.1 setup to nuforce ne700x IEM's. They sound great but are annoying for constant pc use. I can't use speakers because the walls are very thin...

I watch movies, tv, and play some games but I don't want a gaming headset or mic.

I have always loved sennheiser products but I'm open to anything. I would like to spend under $200 and will probably get an amp/dac in the future.

Right now, I can get a pair of HD558 sennheisers for $145 new, which is a great deal from what I've found. That's from a friend of a friend at a store :)

I definitely want wired because I have always felt that the extra money going into the wireless takes away from the quality of the sound. Unless of course you purchase a $400 set or something.

Right now in my pc I have an asus xonar dx audio card that has an output impedance of ~100 ohms which is pretty high for headphones, but the dac is very good in it. Should I keep this and just get an amp or get a seperate dac/amp and just use the onboard sound from my mobo? That's another problem all together. Both support spdif.

I'm just starting with the headphones right now since i'm not loaded. Any and all help is appreciated!

2. Tsujigiri
    A lot of it depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. Do you want a treble, mids, or bass emphasis, or neutrality? Do you want a forward or laid back presentation? Wide or small soundstage?

3. Justinf89
    Thanks for the quick reply. I do like bass but not too overpowering. To be honest, the only decent headphones I've ever owned are the nuforce iem's, so I really don't know how to compare all the options. I'm sure whatever I get I'll be very happy with.

What I didn't mention is they must be comfortable for at least a couple hours use at a time. My IEM's ARE NOT.

4. hodgjy
    Sounds like Sennheiser HD600 to me.  Plus, since your sound card has a high output impedance, the high impedance of the HD600 will be nice.

Quote:

5. hodgjy
    Sorry, just read you want to spend under $200.  Maybe you can find a used set or a used HD580, which are basically the same thing.

6. Owenpri
    I recommend The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm, you can get them new off Amazon for about $180, they sound great, and they last forever. They've got velour pads, and I can wear those things for hours...

7. hodgjy
    I agree that Beyers are among the most comfortable headphones you can ever wear.  I wear my 990s all the time.

Quote:

8. Tsujigiri
    Yes, the DT770 80 Ohms are very comfortable, and have a bass boost that's not too extreme. Kind of similar to the Sennheiser house sound, they're laid back and have some warmth.