Help me finalize my decision on my purchase.
Jul 19, 2013 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OmsJtmz32

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Just needed some help to decide on what to get. Here are my choices: Asg-2, SD-3, Merlin, Miracle or any other recommendation for less than 1k. It would be best if you can give a short summary of the sound sig of these earphones i mentioned.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 10
Well decide if you want to go custom or not. Then decide on the sound signature you like.

ASG-2 has better mids and the SD3 has more lows (2 BA for low and 1 BA for mid and high).

Merlin and ASG-2 are hybrids, using a combination of dynamic and balance armature. Merlin is vented, so it doesn't have the best isolation. The ASG-2 has an adjustable bass port so that can be vented too and could suffer in isolation also.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 10
The Miracle, ES5 willbe best option if need highly detailed sound and punchy bass with great imaging. But new or used JH16Pro for reshell willbe even better if need wider soundstage, punchier bass and extended highs with great high resolution mids.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 10
Just get the jh13 and call it a day.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 10
By their nature, dynamic drivers require a vent to realize their full frequency response. By their nature, BA drivers require a closed system to deliver theirs. Thus, they don't play well with each other in terms of operational theory.

That's why (IMHO) hybrid designs are, by nature, compromises. Not saying they can't sound great, but I'm all about isolation, so hybrids are not my cup of tea.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Well all a hybrid would need is a tube to the canal/tip for the system to be closed. A tube is how sound is delivered for customs... So the remaining space in the iem itself can be "open" for the dynamic

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Well all a hybrid would need is a tube to the canal/tip for the system to be closed. A tube is how sound is delivered for customs... So the remaining space in the iem itself can be "open" for the dynamic

I remember reading how vented doesn't mean open necessarily. 

I have had a discussion specifically regarding the issue of isolation on Merlin before, and here's what I need to clarify:
The isolation of Merlin is suppose to be the same as the other custom earphones because the vent is not connected with the bores on the ear tips where the sound goes to ears. Thus, the vent is just there for some air to flow through the dynamic driver. 

I hope this helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back