HELP ME DECIDE PLEASE!
May 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jellybean1133

New Head-Fier
hello everyone, i am new to the forum so please go easy on me.

i need a new pair of over ear, sealed headphones.
i currently own a pair of denon ahd-1100s and i love them, i really enjoy the warm EQ they have however they have broken recently and im looking to step up.
 MY four choices are as follows:

POLK AUDIO ultrafocus 8000
AKG 550/551 (very similar so no big deal)
aiaiai TMA-1 STUDIO (with the big ear cups)
Harmon Kardon NC

if anyone has had any experience with any of these headphones it'd be greatly appreciated to leave some feedback, noise canceling is not a bigge, but id be nice to have. as stupid as it sounds, i do care about what my headphones look like since i wear them in public and will be running them off an ipod classic, with no amp. other options should be no greater than $350. I am kind of bass head so i enjoy warm-sounding EQs

any thoughts? 
        thanks guys

May 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 18
Hey jellybean, welcome to Head-Fi. 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet...
redface.gif

I'd take a look at either the Sennheiser Amperior or the V-Moda M-80 as they should do nicely.  A couple of other cans to consider are the Sennheiser Momentum or a V-Moda M-100 if you're looking for something circumaural.

May 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 18
hello everyone, i am new to the forum so please go easy on me.

i need a new pair of over ear, sealed headphones.
i currently own a pair of denon ahd-1100s and i love them, i really enjoy the warm EQ they have however they have broken recently and im looking to step up.
 MY four choices are as follows:

POLK AUDIO ultrafocus 8000
AKG 550/551 (very similar so no big deal)
aiaiai TMA-1 STUDIO (with the big ear cups)
Harmon Kardon NC

if anyone has had any experience with any of these headphones it'd be greatly appreciated to leave some feedback, noise canceling is not a bigge, but id be nice to have. as stupid as it sounds, i do care about what my headphones look like since i wear them in public and will be running them off an ipod classic, with no amp. other options should be no greater than $350. I am kind of bass head so i enjoy warm-sounding EQs

any thoughts? 
        thanks guys

Are you open to other ideas? If so, Ultrasone Pro900, V-Moda M-100, M-Audio Q-40 are options.

I know nothing about what you posted. Sory.

Do you still have the Denon phone? I'm interested in it, broken and all. For some testing. PM me if you still have it.

May 21, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 18
Has anyone had and comfort expirence with the ultrasone 900s? Comfort is a big part to me. I've tried the vmodas before and they are more on ear than over, at least for my head and felt uncomfortable. The q40s look to have that fake leather paper ear cup that cheap sennheisers do, can anyone confirm or deny that? I'll look into the 900s but I think the Polks may be my winner based on very early reviews. Now onto 900 research!

May 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 18
Has anyone had and comfort expirence with the ultrasone 900s? Comfort is a big part to me. I've tried the vmodas before and they are more on ear than over, at least for my head and felt uncomfortable. The q40s look to have that fake leather paper ear cup that cheap sennheisers do, can anyone confirm or deny that? I'll look into the 900s but I think the Polks may be my winner based on very early reviews. Now onto 900 research!

Pro900's are extremely comfy. Great velour pads. To me, great sound and thumping bass. The only thing you'll find in your research is some say it has shrill highs. I don't hear that. And by the way, there is a pair on the for sale boards for $199. Steal deal.

Q40's, with. $14 Shure 840 pad upgrade, are comfy. Swap the stock cable for a V-Moda cable, stretch the headband a bit and you have yourself arguably the best $100ish value phone.

May 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 18
May 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Hey jellybean, welcome to Head-Fi. 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet...
redface.gif

I have a feeling you REALLY enjoyed saying "hey jellybean" no idea why.

back on topic i think with that budget you can very easily buy a number of components.. and since we are discussing basshead choices ill just tell you my most enjoyable basshead combo

Fiio E11 + Z02 ---> DT770 80. comfort wise i think they are.. top 3 in comfort for me (beaten by the HD700 (hated the sound, godly comfort) and the HD800)

Though if you really really aren't interested in any other components id probably go down the momentum road.

Or... Custom one pro.

May 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 18
May 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 18
I have Sennheiser Momentum. I use them mostly on the go, they sound really good straight out of my ipod/phone.
Some people complain about them not being fully "over ear", because  the cushion will touch your ear.
But I love em.

May 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for your input everyone. After reading tons of reviews on the custom one pros they all led to the dt770. So I picked those bad boys up. They are currently being broken in (25 hours sound like enough?) They sound fine out of my MBP. And I'm currently awaiting my fiio e11 for my iPod. Guess I went against my own will but dang do these sound amazing!

May 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 18
Awesome stuff.

I have the DT770. Comfortable as *expletives here* and very satisfying down low for bassy tracks while maintaining a (while somewhat recessed mids) good tonal balance overall.

burn in wise you are looking at about 100 hours or so.

With amplifiers it only gets better..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back