Help me decide on uncolored headphones please :)
Sep 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blissful0ne

New Head-Fier
Okay so I'm just getting into the headphone thing (and this is my first post [LOVE this site]), been reading around A LOT on the different headphones on the market, and I've come to a few that I'm interested in. 

I want flat, uncolored headphones for mixing, but I'm looking for headphones with low impedance as I'm not going to invest in an amp just yet.  Price range... $100... maaaybe $150.

So far I like these:

-Audio Technica M-50

-Sony MDR-V900HD (7509HD)

-Some Pro Ultrasones in my price range

And if anyone knows anything about these, Ableplanet Clear Harmony NC1000CH.  Are these uncolored or would they be good for mixing with?  These are the only ones I had a chance to listen to and I liked them a lot, but I was unsure if they were uncolored phones.

So far I'm leaning towards the M50's, but if you know of any other phones I may be interested in, let me know!
biggrin.gif

Kindest Regards,
-bliss

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 11
If uncoloured/flat is your goal then you may actually be better off with m40fs than m50.  It's less musical but much more flat across the spectrum and has good mids. You could also buy a used K271 in that price range.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Welcome to head-fi.
BTW, what type of music you are mixing with?
As personally opinion for "uncolor" headphone, I would recommend AKG 240 over the choose you made because is more suitable for flat, uncolored mixing. (not for hard rock music thought) or you can try get a pair of used 271 like K_19 said.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 11
i think you can get the shure SRH840 for about $150 these days.
and it is somewhat flatter sounding than the M50.
haven't heard the others.

the M50 has mondo bass.
balanced overall, but i personally wouldn't trust it to mix with...

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Ooh I haven't come across those SRH84's yet.  They look pretty nice.  Do they get loud enough without amp?

I'm mixing electro/house music. 

Why wouldn't you trust the m50's?  Just wonderin

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
What is your audio source?

Lol well just my laptop... I guess I was going to get into that aswell.  I'm pretty noob at all this haha so I dont even know about the soundcard or anything.  I do plan on upgrading slowly, but I thought it would be pretty safe to start at a semi-nice pair of headphones.

Would you be able to direct me to info on soundcards/amps and all that?

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Okay so I'm just getting into the headphone thing (and this is my first post [LOVE this site])...

Give it a few months.  Wait till you start spending some serious money...that'll change real quick. lol

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 11
I would suggest you go to store and listen to different kind of headphone before making decision.
For new starter, is always better to listen than just asking for other for suggestion because everyone "hear differently".
Once you have enough knowledge about which "sound" you like, it would be easier to get the gear that fit your need.

Quote:
Lol well just my laptop... I guess I was going to get into that aswell.  I'm pretty noob at all this haha so I dont even know about the soundcard or anything.  I do plan on upgrading slowly, but I thought it would be pretty safe to start at a semi-nice pair of headphones.

Would you be able to direct me to info on soundcards/amps and all that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back