Help me decide on type of ety er4
Apr 11, 2006 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cherrybeat

New Head-Fier
dear guys,

This is my first post
biggrin.gif

I have a budget to buy a new phone which I've already decided that it must be etymotic er4
etysmile.gif

As I know er4p give me more bass and easy to drive from ipod while er4s give me more accurate and details; however, need amp to be nice. I know if possible I should get er4p with p/s cable to be the best. But with my budget now, I can get only the phone, no cable
frown.gif

So would like to ask you guys what type of er4 I should get between directly to er4s with amp or first with er4p then wait some budget for the conversion cable in the future.
I have pocket amp2 version2. Is it fine to drive er4s or I need to upgrade the amp?
And one more question to the guy who have er4p and p/s cable, how much time you use er4p without cable? Because you know already that er4s will give you nicer sound.

thanks and damn head-fi
thanx

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Get the ER-4P. Then get a Xin amp that has the impedence switch, it does the same as the P>S cable. Then, later if you still need it, pick up the P>S cable.

Oh, and sorry about your wallet.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
If you like rock/electronica or anything where some kind of bass presence is desirable, start looking at other earphones (IMO).

I would have to strongly disagree with that statement, I listen to Trance and Rock primarily and the Ety's do just fine.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 14
I have a question about the 4S's. Does one truly need an amp to use them? (Or to have them sound good?)

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I would have to strongly disagree with that statement, I listen to Trance and Rock primarily and the Ety's do just fine.

I agree with auroraproject. There are better cans for rock than the Etys IMO but the ER4P has adequate and very well controlled bass with extreme detail that makes many rock recordings sounds very appealing.
As an example, I like the ER4Ps better than the UE super.fi pro 5 for rock although many people say otherwise.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
I have a question about the 4S's. Does one truly need an amp to use them? (Or to have them sound good?)

no, I owned p and s and never used the p under any circumstances... the p is a compromise on all fronts, not even worth bothering with. get the s

jesse

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
no, I owned p and s and never used the p under any circumstances... the p is a compromise on all fronts, not even worth bothering with. get the s

jesse

so you recommended to get the s, right?
if unamped, which one is better? P or S? I'll use with my iriver H-120.
and if I'm always with amp, go with s definitely right?

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrybeat
so you recommended to get the s, right?
if unamped, which one is better? P or S? I'll use with my iriver H-120.
and if I'm always with amp, go with s definitely right?

P is better unamped. S is better with amp.

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 14
Buy the P.

If you are going to buy an amp later, buy the P to S convertor cable, your ER4P will then sound the same as the S.

If you aren't going to amp, the P will work better with portable players.

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 14
One more question, is the new braided cable on ety only ER4P but not ER4S?
I contacted one online store and they told me that they didn't have ER4S with braided version. And how much the braided version improve from the old version?

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrybeat
One more question, is the new braided cable on ety only ER4P but not ER4S?
I contacted one online store and they told me that they didn't have ER4S with braided version. And how much the braided version improve from the old version?

I believe the p is the only version with the braided cord, not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back