Help me decide on budget 'phones please
Apr 11, 2009 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joshf52

New Head-Fier
I've been browsing around the forums for the past week trying to figure out what I should get. I really don't want to spend more than $50 or so right now. I know there are a ton of these posts around, and I probably read them all. I would still love some opinions, as I'm far from an expert.

I don't need very strong bass - I'm not really into rap or electronic music. I listen to most other genres, primarily classic rock, classical/instrumental, some alternative rock/punk rock, jazz...

I kinda narrowed it down to:
Altec Lansing UHP336 ($40)
Head-Direct RE2 ($40)
SoundMagic PL30 ($20)

I would love to hear that I should go for the PL30s, since I wanna spend as little as possible, but I have an feeling the other two are gonna get more votes. If you have any opinions or want to throw out any other options, please let me know.

They will primarily be used with a Cowon S9 (waiting for the 32gb to come out in a few weeks). I also have a Fiio E5. I current use Sony MDR-ex51s, which are nothing special at all, but they've held up fine for the past 2 years or so. I just want a low price upgrade to go with the new DAP.

Thanks for the help!
happy_face1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 4
I would say NE-7M

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say NE-7M

From what I've read around here and some reviews elsewhere, I am actually a bit more interested in the NE-8s for what I like to listen to. But I don't really want to spend $70 - the less the better. I have definitely considered the NE-7m's as well. I appreciate the input.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't really have a recommendation, just some points I've found while lurking around the forums.
The UHP336 seems to have some comfort issues with it's design, I'm not saying that couldn't be operator error tho...
The RE-2 is a open design so good for at work or anywhere you need to hear.
The PL-30s I think were sort of a flavor of the month type deal. but for a tight budget give it a shot.
also if you re looking for more info on the uhp336 look for the super fi 3 pro ultimate ears because they're basically the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back