Help me decide- getting an IEM & a portable amp
May 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

areek

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys. On the 1st week of June, i'll be travelling to Singapore & malaysia & I was wondering to get myself some upgrades. Let me tell you guys about my current setup-

HP- Hifiman HE-400 (love it)
DAP- Fiio X1 (amazing)
Portable amp- Fiio E11 
IEM- Steelseries Flux non-pro. (love the sound, wish it were a bit more clean & crisp)

So, I'm looking to get an upgrade. I need a portable amp (for my HE-400) and an IEM for regular use.

I am looking into the following atm. Please help me choose one from the following but newer & better options are also welcome. :)

Amp- 
1. Fiio E12
2. JDS Labs C5
3. JDS Labs O2

IEM- 
1. Vsonic GR07
2. Vsonic GR07 BE
3. Dunu Titan 1
4. Hifiman RE400 (worried about the build, otherwise my 1st choice for SQ)
5. RHA MH750
6. Rock it sounds R50 (not sure if I can find it though in SG)

TIA :)

May 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 16
  Hello guys. On the 1st week of June, i'll be travelling to Singapore & malaysia & I was wondering to get myself some upgrades. Let me tell you guys about my current setup-

HP- Hifiman HE-400 (love it)
DAP- Fiio X1 (amazing)
Portable amp- Fiio E11 
IEM- Steelseries Flux non-pro. (love the sound, wish it were a bit more clean & crisp)

So, I'm looking to get an upgrade. I need a portable amp (for my HE-400) and an IEM for regular use.

I am looking into the following atm. Please help me choose one from the following but newer & better options are also welcome. :)

Amp- 
1. Fiio E12
2. JDS Labs C5
3. JDS Labs O2

IEM- 
1. Vsonic GR07
2. Vsonic GR07 BE
3. Dunu Titan 1
4. Hifiman RE400 (worried about the build, otherwise my 1st choice for SQ)
5. RHA MH750
6. Rock it sounds R50 (not sure if I can find it though in SG)

TIA :)

Hey mate!

Out of your IEM List, I would pick the VSonic GR07 BE / Classic (depending what you like)

Your portable amp seems fine for your setup, and if you like it, keep it!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
- Joe

May 29, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:

Hey mate!

Out of your IEM List, I would pick the VSonic GR07 BE / Classic (depending what you like)

Your portable amp seems fine for your setup, and if you like it, keep it!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
- Joe

Thanks mate. I'm currently stuck in between the Dunu Titan 1 & the GR07 bass. Interestingly, the dunu is perhaps slightly pricier in SG.

Regarding an amp, i'm not sure if i'll buy one, but if I do, it would be amongst those 3. I've heard the O2 is amazing, & outperforms the other two. Is it so?

May 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 16
  Thanks mate. I'm currently stuck in between the Dunu Titan 1 & the GR07 bass. Interestingly, the dunu is perhaps slightly pricier in SG.

Regarding an amp, i'm not sure if i'll buy one, but if I do, it would be amongst those 3. I've heard the O2 is amazing, & outperforms the other two. Is it so?

I would get the GR07 Bass, if it was me.

I can't help you that much on your amp question, but I can say that the Fiio is a lot more portable and still produces amazing quality sound.

Cheers,
Joe

May 29, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 16
  I like my E12A with the few IEMs I have; I mostly use my Sony XBA-30 or Hifiman RE400. I'm getting my DUNU Titan1 today, so will have some first impressions tonight.

Oh cool, please let me know, specially the comparison between the two. 

May 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Here are some first thoughts. The first thing I noticed compared to my RE400 and XBA-30 was the Titan 1 have more open and clear sound with very wide soundstage. The highs are not sibilant but are forward. The bass is conservative and fast; I feel it needs the few db bass boost of the amp. The mids sound neutral very clean, guitars and pianos sound great, but they lack some depth. Overall, the separation and details are great. To me, the Titan 1 are brighter than neutral suitable for fast and complex music. They depend on music style to sound their best. In comparison while the RE400 are less refined, they're better balanced of the two and more universal all-rounder. Both are incredibly comfortable.

May 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 16
If you get an amp I would go with the E12a not the E12! The E12 is way to powerful for just about any IEM and the E12a is perfect for them and has better overall sound. As for the IEMs listed I would get the GR07be, they are still considered a bench mark IEM by most.

May 30, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 16
If you get an amp I would go with the E12a not the E12! The E12 is way to powerful for just about any IEM and the E12a is perfect for them and has better overall sound. As for the IEMs listed I would get the GR07be, they are still considered a bench mark IEM by most.

I'm actually looking for an amp for my HE-400 & not for iems. The Fiio X1 itself can drive them fine. 

May 30, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm actually looking for an amp for my HE-400 & not for iems. The Fiio X1 itself can drive them fine. 

Than I would get the E12, I have the HE400i and have the FiiO X5 and E12 and it is the perfect portable combo!

+1

I have the HE-400 (not the i) and the E12. Less powerful amps are not, in my experience, good for driving the HE-400s well at louder volumes. The E12 does a pretty good job.

May 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 16
+1

I have the HE-400 (not the i) and the E12. Less powerful amps are not, in my experience, good for driving the HE-400s well at louder volumes. The E12 does a pretty good job.

Exactly my feeling with the E11.

May 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 16

Been wanting to try some of the same headphones myself. I'd bring your gear and some in-ear tips with you if possible, since some of the stores there allow people to demo headphones and amps (rare opportunity here, except at meet-ups) 
biggrin.gif
Please report back if you find a good store, every few years my work takes me through Spore, but I haven't been there since I started obsessing over headphones.

I have a JDS C5D. Can't say if it is an upgrade over E11 (definitely is over the old nuforce icon it replaced), but it is nice, good two-setting bass boost, build quality and compact- I'd prefer a dial but the volume rocker switch works well. Downsides so far: specific bad pairing with my ATH-IM02 for some reason; battery life is a little short if you need an all-day portable (~6 to 8 hours), and I sometimes wish the low-gain setting were a little lower (occasionally like to listen at very low levels). Everything else I've tried sounds good, though I don't have anything  like the HE-400 (just Beyer 770/32 and 1350 for full size cans, neither of which need a discrete amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back