Help me decide between these entry-fi IEMs
Oct 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

prosound

100+ Head-Fier
er6i
UM1
super.fi 3

Music: classical, with occasional vocal and speech. I'll be using them on the go and have found isolation with canalphones on noisy buses is below satisfaction. Besides isolation, comfort will also be crucial, and UE grey foamie canalphone mod is a pain for my small ear canals, if it helps to explain.

I'm in no hurry, but any suggestion will be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 39
I like the ER-6i better out of the Ety's and the Super.fi's. And since you're only looking for pretty much clear high's (for classical) and clear mid's (for vocals) and not a lot of bass, then I would definitely recommend the UE's.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 39
As regard isolation, my Atrio do the job. I can use the stock flange tips or the foamies. I also tried the Shure yellow foamies and those were the best for isolation. I just do not hear my outside environment. Need to be carefull in crossing streets. But it's Ok . I still hear the truck passing aside me but on the subway the sound attenuation is more than acceptable.

Also they deliver very well with the music you are listening.

Also very popular now are the Denon C700 and the Q-jays.

With these types of IEMs, the main bug is always the isolation factor. If the tip is not sealing adequately you will wonder where the music went. When you have found the correct tip, you will enjoy alot!

regards,

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 39
The others don't seem to market here in China either
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 39
another vote for the ER-6i

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the UM1s, they are nice light and comfy.

Yeah, they are, but IMO they don't sound too good...

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 39
Hmm... have you given any thought to U.E. S.F. 3 studio? According to U.E site's recommendations, they seem to suit your musical genre. Check out this link:

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat...erfi/index.php

It states that the S.F 3 studio is built for:
Jazz, classical and podcasts...

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 39
I also recommend the er6i. You should also get the Shure black foam tips to go with them - they are much more comfortable and isolate better than any of the stock tips. These are my main portable 'phones and I've been very satisfied with them.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... have you given any thought to U.E. S.F. 3 studio? According to U.E site's recommendations, they seem to suit your musical genre. Check out this link:

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat...erfi/index.php

It states that the S.F 3 studio is built for:
Jazz, classical and podcasts...

I'm no bass head, but have to admit KSC75s are a real fun to listen to. Were it not for the UE grey foam tip comfort issue for my small ear canals, I would have chosen the super.fi 3 studio already. The silicon tips make me guess the isolation will only be slightly better than, if not on par with, canalphones, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I guess they won't sound too wrong for my ears, and I really like the cable design. They're also a little cheaper than the ety's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the ER-6i better out of the Ety's and the Super.fi's. And since you're only looking for pretty much clear high's (for classical) and clear mid's (for vocals) and not a lot of bass, then I would definitely recommend the Ety's.

Thanks very much for your nice and detailed reviews of those two pairs head-to-head. There's a lot of info, and now I think I'm inclined towards the ety's. From what I read, the sound is more detailed and analytical, and I don't think I'll regret if I choose them. Only concern is about the durability and the microphonic effect, which in this purchase won't be as important as isolation and comfort. But then I could go for the UM1s
confused.gif

Maybe I should pick up another cheapo pair like CX300s or JBL 200s first? (I had ordered EP630s but the seller ran out of stock! so it had to be cancelled)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back