Help me decide between Sennheiser HD 650 or Philips Fidelio X2
Mar 9, 2017 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

setnom

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Forgive me if I don't use technical adjectives to describe sound quality, my first language isn't english and therefore I'm not totally sure what you guys mean when people write terms like "brighter", "warmer", "darker", "flatter". I'll try to be simpler in this text.

I've been reading this site up and down, trying to find a general consensus and more feedback and I'm still not sure what headphones to choose because my sound preferences and listening scenarios aren't that well replicated in other people's threads. But it's come down to the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Philips Fidelio X2.

First, I own both the Sennheiser HD518 and the HD598.

I like both of them, but I feel that the first one is a bit bassier and maybe "mufflier" (?) than what I would like, and the second has a bit less bass than what I would like. Therefore, I'm trying to find a middle-ground between the two and, at the same time, a pair of headphones that would also come as an overall upgrade (not just a sidegrade to achieve something between the 518 and the 598 - like the 558, I would think).

This next purchase I'm planning will only be connected to my PC with an ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.

The headphones will be for:

50% - movies, tv shows (often DTS, AC3, 48 kHz);
25% - music (320 kbps and FLAC; I listen to pretty much all music genres; I can easily switch from classical music to Katy Perry, and then to Metallica, hehehe);
25% - games (but I don't care about positioning and trying to hear footsteps and their direction, for example).

So, in short, which one of these two fits the role of an upgraded version between the HD158 and the HD598 better? Let me know what you think. And thanks for you feedback!

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 19
  This next purchase I'm planning will only be connected to my PC with an ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.

Do you already own the Essence STX II and are planning on buying something (DAC/amp) to connect to it?
Or your going to be buying the Essence STX II?

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 19
  Hello guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Forgive me if I don't use technical adjectives to describe sound quality, my first language isn't english and therefore I'm not totally sure what you guys mean when people write terms like "brighter", "warmer", "darker", "flatter". I'll try to be simpler in this text.

I've been reading this site up and down, trying to find a general consensus and more feedback and I'm still not sure what headphones to choose because my sound preferences and listening scenarios aren't that well replicated in other people's threads. But it's come down to the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Philips Fidelio X2.

First, I own both the Sennheiser HD518 and the HD598.

I like both of them, but I feel that the first one is a bit bassier and maybe "mufflier" (?) than what I would like, and the second has a bit less bass than what I would like. Therefore, I'm trying to find a middle-ground between the two and, at the same time, a pair of headphones that would also come as an overall upgrade (not just a sidegrade to achieve something between the 518 and the 598 - like the 558, I would think).

The headphones will be for:

50% - movies, tv shows (often DTS, AC3, 48 kHz);
25% - music (320 kbps and FLAC; I listen to pretty much all music genres; I can easily switch from classical music to Katy Perry, and then to Metallica, hehehe);
25% - games (but I don't care about positioning and trying to hear footsteps and their direction, for example).

So, in short, which one of these two fits the role of an upgraded version between the HD158 and the HD598 better? Let me know what you think. And thanks for you feedback!

How important is soundstage? Are you looking to maximize the bass response, or are you just looking for a bit more (and less muffled)?

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 19
  How important is soundstage? Are you looking to maximize the bass response, or are you just looking for a bit more (and less muffled)?

On a scale of 0 to 100 (from not important to very important), I'd say soundstage hits more than 50 because for 75% of my daily usage (50% movies + 25% games), I think soundstage matters. The 25% remaining daily usage - music -, not so much, I would say. I like the soundstage of the HD598s, but if the new headphones had less, I wouldn't mind much.

I'm not looking to maximize the bass response, I think the HD 518 is a a bit more muffled and bit more bassier for my taste. But I'm indeed looking for a bit more than the HD598 provides. Somewhere in the middle of those two.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 19

On a scale of 0 to 100 (from not important to very important), I'd say soundstage hits more than 50 because for 75% of my daily usage (50% movies + 25% games), I think soundstage matters. The 25% remaining daily usage - music -, not so much, I would say. I like the soundstage of the HD598s, but if the new headphones had less, I wouldn't mind much.

I'm not looking to maximize the bass response, I think the HD 518 is a a bit more muffled and bit more bassier for my taste. But I'm indeed looking for a bit more than the HD598 provides. Somewhere in the middle of those two.

Based on your remarks, I would say the HD650 would likely be the better choice. It has a nice, if not extravagant, soundstage. And it has probably an appropriate amount of increased, high quality bass compared to the HD598. It is a very nice headphone.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 19
How does the X2 compare to the HD518, in termos of bass response? Does it have more?

I've been struggling between the X2 and the HD650 because I've seen people recommend the X2, over the Sennheiser's, for movies and gaming, saying they're "fun and energetic". Only sticking with the HD650 for music, saying they have more of a "analytical" feel. Since 75% of what I listen to (movies, games) relies on the "fun" aspect, hence the struggle, hehehe.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 19
HD650 is a reference headphone with a slightly warm and darkish tilt. It's still a reference, relatively neutral headphone.
Fidelio X2 on the other hand is a consumer orientated headphone with big bass, some treble spark and expansive but not very defined soundstage.
It really depends on what kind of listener you are, some people would say HD650 is plain boring, while others would say X2 is far too coloured.
Both are nice in some ways, I much prefer the HD650.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 19
Im not familiar with the Essence STX II,but the HD650 is harder to drive than the X2.
What you have might be good enough for the HD650,but I would double check on that.

I think the HD650 is a better all around headphone,but X1/X2 is an easier choice for its wide soundstage,bass response and ease to drive.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 19
  Im not familiar with the Essence STX II,but the HD650 is harder to drive than the X2.

From what I've read online, the STX II shouldn't have problems driving the HD650 because it can reach an impedance of 600 ohms and the HD650 is 300 ohms.

This is the options the STX II audio center provides regarding impedance: http://dlcdnwebsite.asus.com/existone/websites/global/products/geXTAFguctXRUUkg/illustration-4.png

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 19
75% movies and games makes the X2 the better choice by far.  I own both headphones, though one is the HD6XX variation of the HD 650.  I also prefer the X2 over the HD6XX for the vast majority of my music as well, since the HD6XX simply doesn't have the bass response I prefer. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 19
How accurate/trustworthy do you guys think these YouTube sound demos, between the two, are?

Sennheiser HD650: https://youtu.be/d0g9sttK_HE
Philips Fidelio X2: https://youtu.be/B6JGyCW1S9g

Some of the audio tracks are repeated between the two and we can compare them side by side:
  1. at 0:23 for the HD650, at 0:14 for the X2;
  2. at 1:16 for the HD650, at 4:35 for the X2;
  3. at 2:10 for the HD650, at 10:00 for the X2 (I don't understand this one, feels totally opposite from the other demos);
  4. at 3:58 for the HD650, at 1:55 for the X2.

I'm listening to the videos on a pair of HD598s. Most likely these demos are misleading me, but here's what I can gather:
  1. soundstage difference is minimal (X2 has just a tad more);
  2. HD650 sounds warmer and more muffled - if true.. don't like it that much...;
  3. X2 is bassier, but it's a different sort of bass - less rumblier, more boomy -  and, at the same time remains sharp. I kinda like it :);
  4. vocals, I feel, are more detailed on the X2.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm listening to the videos on a pair of HD598s. Most likely these demos are misleading me, but here's what I can gather:
  1. soundstage difference is minimal (X2 has just a tad more);
  2. HD650 sounds warmer and more muffled - if true.. don't like it that much...;
  3. X2 is bassier, but it's a different sort of bass - less rumblier, more boomy -  and, at the same time remains sharp. I kinda like it :);
  4. vocals, I feel, are more detailed on the X2.

Sound stage difference is very large between the two sets.  This is one of the more distinctive characteristics of the X2, its wide presentation. 

HD 650 is not warmer overall, nor would I characterize it as muffled, not in the bass and lower mids where you get most of the "warm" sound. 

X2 is bassier and doesn't have quite as tight a bass as the HD650.  But I find the HD 650 lacking in reproducing certain bass lines in music, especially intentional "fuzz" from electric guitar.

Most would disagree with your assessment of the vocals.  This is where many have issues with the X2, though I personally like the mids of the X2, and these headphones respond well to a little EQ if you want them more forward.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 19
How accurate/trustworthy do you guys think these YouTube sound demos, between the two, are?

Sennheiser HD650: https://youtu.be/d0g9sttK_HE
Philips Fidelio X2: https://youtu.be/B6JGyCW1S9g

Some of the audio tracks are repeated between the two and we can compare them side by side:
  • at 0:23 for the HD650, at 0:14 for the X2;
  • at 1:16 for the HD650, at 4:35 for the X2;
  • at 2:10 for the HD650, at 10:00 for the X2 (I don't understand this one, feels totally opposite from the other demos);
  • at 3:58 for the HD650, at 1:55 for the X2.

• soundstage difference is minimal (X2 has just a tad more);
  • HD650 sounds warmer and more muffled - if true.. don't like it that much...;
  • X2 is bassier, but it's a different sort of bass - less rumblier, more boomy -  and, at the same time remains sharp. I kinda like it :);
  • vocals, I feel, are more detailed on the X2.
If the tracks were accurate then why would you buy the headphones as you could listen to them on YouTube and not spend any money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back