Help me decide between PS4 or XBox One
Dec 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Hi Headfi,

I'm having trouble deciding between the PS4 or XBox One.

If Titanfall wasn't a Microsoft exclusive, my choice would be easy. If the PS4 didn't have the superior hardware, my choice would be easy. If I trusted Microsoft more as a vendor my choice would be easy. 

Alas, it isn't. 

The games I'm mostly into are multiplayer first person shooters and racing games. I don't play any adventure or RPGs games (though MGS 5 looks cool) and I rarely do single player. The last console I owned was a Sega Dreamcast....so I don't really have a dog in this fight either way. 

If a title is cross-platform - say Battlefield 4 - is there any reason to pick the XBox One version over the PS4 version? Is XBox Live really a better multiplayer experience than PSN?

My plan is to project them onto a living room wall using a short-throw HD projector (either a BenQ W1080ST, 1080p, or a Optoma GT760, which is 720p). The picture will be thus be very large relative to my seating position. 

What do you think? And please don't say PC, lol.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Might want to wait a few months, see what goes on sale, price might effect your desision.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 7
I have both Xbox one and the PS4. 

Play
I have both Xbox one and the PS4.

Play BF4 primarily so these comments mostly concern BF4 on these platforms.
I worry about deciding based on Titanfall. Ryse was looking good on promos but is horrible and boring.

1. Graphics are indistinguishable. All the technobabble and specs don't mean much.This on a 40 inch 1080p 120Hz new Samsung flatscreen. 
2. PS network is definitely more stable. Crashes on Xbox one more common with BF4.
3. Xbox one much better as an overall entertainment console with seamless Blueray/TV/Netflix/gaming.The x box controls my TV and cable box with no issues. 
4..Talking to the X box to control it is moronic and does not work very well. 
5. Both platforms did a poor job of providing peripherals especially headsets where chat is integrated. Turtle beach very bad/ Astro at least works with the PS4. 
6. All the problems with playing with friends and forming squads are in both platforms and are due to DICE. (BF4)
7. Both controllers are lightyears ahead of past units. I like the weight of the X box one but both are nice. Being able to use either rechargeable batteries or regular batteries in the x box controller is a plus but the recharging station for the PS4 is nicer for now. 
8. Bottom line is that both are very nice. Pick by who you play with. Though I have friends, some new, on both platforms. Mostly I lost a bunch of 360 friends who my not catch up for quite a while.
BF4 on both depending on who I am playing with. 

Impressions; 

1. Graphics are indistinguishable. All the technobabble and specs don't mean much.This on a 40 inch 1080p 120Hz new Samsung flatscreen. 

2. PS network is definitely more stable. Crashes on Xbox one more common. Another annoyance is that despite me picking Rush it puts me 
in Team deathmatch a bunch. Does not happen On PS4. 

3. Xbox one much better as an overall entertainment console with seamless Blueray/TV/Netflix/gaming.The x box controls my TV and cable box with no issues. 

4..Talking to the X box to control it is moronic and does not work very well. 

5. Both platforms did a poor job of providing peripherals especially headsets. Turtle beach/ Astro product development folks should all be fired. 

6. All the problems with playing with friends and forming squads are in both platforms are are due to DICE. 

7. Both controllers are lightyears ahead of past units. I like the weight of the X box one but both are nice. Being able to use either rechargeable batteries or regular batteries in the x box controller is a plus but the recharging station for the PS4 is nicer for now. 

8. Bottom line is that both are very nice. Pick by who you play with. Though I have friends, some new, on both platforms. Mostly I lost a bunch of 360 friends who my not catch up for quite a while.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 7
PC MASTER RACE!  Hehe, just kidding (sort of)

in the end, it all comes down to the exclusive game releases.  It's still to early to tell which games will be exclusive to which console because it hasn't been very long since release, but that just means it's a waiting game for now....

or just get the console all your friends are getting.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 7
As a PC gamer who owns neither console and sees little reason to own either for some time -

Graphics are expected to be largely indistinguishable at the present. As time goes on the gap between the two for ported games will increase though I doubt it will be substantial. For exclusives, the PS4 will eventually pull ahead.

All else equal -
Overall Video Fidelity is proportionate to log(performance)

While developers might begin to optimize a bit for both consoles I suspect that there will be A LOT of ports. For those ports, they'll likely be developed for the XB1 first and then scaled up OR for the PC and then scaled down. In these cases there won't be a huge difference, at these levels of performance a MERE 50% increase in power won't matter enough - the limiting factor isn't the processor or GPU, it's the developer. It's hard to make good games and to some degree throwing more processing power won't make the games better. Look at The Legend of Zelda - The Windwaker. It aged well because it was well polished. HL2 vs. WW is kind of an ugly comparison even though HL2 had FAR more power. Design choices matter now.

I suspect the biggest differences in ports for some time will be AA, AF, texture resolution and resolution. The overall experience will be similar graphically.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Based on my experiences with the PS3 and Xbox 360, I would say the PS4 would be the better choice mainly because Sony tends to support more games exclusively. Xbox will give you a few but the majority will also be available to play on the PC.

Another thing to keep in mind is, the Xbox One doesn't currently support Dolby 5.1 meaning that if you plan on plugging your headphones into something like the Astro Mixamp, your Dolby Headphone will only be coming from a two channel soured until whenever they decide to patch it in if ever. I also don't really believe you can use your mic for chat and will have to use Kinect until they decide to sell you an adapter.

Also, if you want content pricing to be a little more like Steam, Xbox is not the place. Last gen, M$ muscled both Epic Games and Valve into charging money for map packs which the developers wanted to be free of charge. Sony also allowed Steamworks and the PC copy of Portal 2 to be free of charge with the purchase of the console game while M$ refused. And on top of the playstation plus instant games which will be better than Games on Gold if it ever even makes it to thecXbox One, sale prices are cheaper on PSN with bundles included as well. Microsoft doesn't allow bundles other than season passes because they want you to pay full price for all content.

I don't want this to come ff like I'm some kind of Sony fanboy because trust me, I'm not. I've been primarily an Xbox gamer since the launch of the original console and an Xbox Live beta tester. I'm just tired of all the content scams, accessory scams and other shady policies that are not consumer nor developer friendly.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 7
PC has the best fps and racing titles hopefully I made life easier on you now :)

As for consoles it´s all about exclusives. Unless you find some title you really feel you must run you get one. There is no reason to get any before that considering it get really expensive if you are going to buy games by console prices. If you are lucky by the time there is some interesting titles some new rev of the consoles is out fixing the launch issues and price has gone down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back