Help me decide: $500 for the EMU Teak or $700 for the X Focal Elex? (I can only buy one)
Jul 22, 2018 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Allentown

New Head-Fier
Context:

1) Not an "audiophile".

2) I listen to "popular" music. Mostly hard rock but also a fair share of Rap/R&B. Some of the hard rock however, does have a fair share of instrumental (Metallica orchestra remakes for example).

3) Needs to be portable, i spend more than 50% of my life going from airports to hotels....having said that, taking a larger headphone TO my hotel in a bag even though it is too big to wear en route is totally acceptable for me.

4) I did invest in an LG V35 with the newest Quad DAC and i would be willing to invest in pocket amps if you tell me i need to (I already have an Fiio A3 but I realize there are much better out there).

5) Current phones: Vmoda M100 Crossfades. Shure 535s. EMU purple heart, HE4xx,
Ones I gave away, Bose QC 15 (wife), Parrot Zik 1.0 (son).

Anyway I just discovered Massdrop (I am always 4 years late to everything) and am adding to my collection but with the above considerations, i already sort of ruled out the Senn 6xx in favor of the HE4xx. I could be talked back into getting both but seems redundant and I am also considering the Focal Elex vs the EMU Teak.

And...go.

Also, what is up with the Mitchell and Johnson MJ2's? Almost no reviews on them and no recomendations that i trust.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 5
It appears the V35 will not trigger high output mode with anything less than 50ohms which sort of renders the HE4xx useless, requiring either some BS to trick the phone into high output mode every time i hook it up or the continued use of an adapter...uggh.

Would that make the the Focal Elex at 80ohms is the clear winner or is it a wash siince the E-MU Teak was designed for lower power use anyway?

I believe the Vmodas and Shures are still good to go from my phone as the they were always designed for low output mode from the beginning but the HE4xx's will require me to purchase some extra hard ware or carry my FIIO A3 (150 Impedence) or invest in something better for the pocket such as the A5 (300 Impedence) to push the 4xx's harder?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 5
First, the Elex and Emu Teak have different sound signatures. I have both literally sitting next to me, so this comes from an owner of both. I think that's kind of the first thing you should cement in. Neither are particularly portable, but at least the Teak has 3.5mm connector with a 1/4" adapter. The Elex comes with a 1/4" cable, which means you need a 1/4" to 3.5mm connector which I find flimsy across the board, unless you're using a different amp or DAP, or unless you replace the cable.

I like both, so it's a toss up in terms of recommending either. I think both are built pretty sturdy to stand up to the rigors of travel. Also, have you considered the PSB M4U8 or NAD Viso HP70? Both can work off APTx HD and have built-in amps, so you don't need to worry about the power source. Frankly, I think both sound better than Bose by a country mile.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Checking them both out now. As i recall the PSB and NAD were always sonic clones of each other with just different styling ques. Is that the same for these NC wireless versions? I originally was looking at wireless options in the vein of the Sony 1000x thingy that everyone has put at the top of their charts.

Would you say these siblings recommended above are better than the sonys?

I could see me potentially taking your advice and getting something more portable, but also picking up a pair of monoprice 1060s to mess around with at home.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Depends on what you're looking for. The drivers are tuned the same on the PSB and NAD, the larger difference is battery (interchangeable triple A's with usb charging port for NiMH vs litium ion), and size and styling. I think these sound really natural and just a bit warm, but without bloat in the bass. Sony is typically the domain of a heavier bass emphasis, but I haven't heard the newest Sony bluetooth headphones. They have some additional functionality, like a button to mute music and use the external mics used for ANC to instead amplify the sound, so you can hear what's going on around you without removing the headphones. They also have play back controls on the headphones. I've got a pair of the PSB, and bought one for my mom and dad who both love them, largely because changing out the NiMH AAA gives some more functionality while traveling instead of having to wait for lithium ion to charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back