help me debate against this kid who thinks skull candies are comparable to Ue-11's.
Feb 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

I also know that most of the guys here on head-fi probally havent heard a decent home stereo rig. They are just regular guys who bought an ipod and just wanted to improve the sound as much as possible with no interest in home rigs at all. And as such things in gets overhyped beyond around here. Some are even spending $200 on a piece of cable for their "ipods". Most just simply dont know how good an home amplifier and a pair of speakers can sound. All that for a grand total of $300

Agree entirely. I understand getting quality portable system but you can go over the top, and totally ignoring a home speaker system. I get more musical enjoyment on either of my seperate audio systems. Headphones are just secondary either late at night, or for portable use.

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #32 of 54
The world will be a much boring place w/o people who swear by SkullCandy, same goes for enemy.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #35 of 54
The money we make goes toward food, shelter, and pleasure. You just have to work out your balance point. For some, the $1500 over the $50 is justified, and for some it's not. To say that the $50 headphones will be as good as the $1500 ones, though, is the subject of a story by Aesop, involving some rather tasty grapes and an unathletic fox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also know that most of the guys here on head-fi probally havent heard a decent home stereo rig. They are just regular guys who bought an ipod and just wanted to improve the sound as much as possible with no interest in home rigs at all. And as such things in gets overhyped beyond around here. Some are even spending $200 on a piece of cable for their "ipods". Most just simply dont know how good an home amplifier and a pair of speakers can sound. All that for a grand total of $300

Chances are these guy probally has more money to spent on a home rig wich would totally blow every portable audio system away and still have cash left over for a pair of KSC75s, girls and other finer things in life.

Your argument fails because it's blatantly untrue. I have a home system in which the amp/speaker component cost $1800. My TripFi's cost $300. Through the same source, I would consider the Trips superior (though their high end lacks some). My fullsize headphones are superior again, but they cost a little closer to what the speaker rig cost, when you take into account amplification.

I have no doubt that the highest end of speaker rig is better than the highest end of head-fi/IEM (and I will upgrade my speaker rig as dollars allow, but right now it's a lower priority than my headphones anyway due to time spent with each). Headphones come with limitations. But $ for $, you're going to get better peformance out of headphones at almost any price point.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 54
I dont know why youre fighting about $1500 IEMs when you can just get Genuine Apple Ibuds and have the real thing, or even Bose! You know theyre better for much less money!
popcorn.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #37 of 54
The best part was when dude with the Username of "Dr.Dre," who has a picture of a white teenager looking guy (I'm guessing it's him,) says:

"the thing about headphones is that there is no bass, when i listen to music, i have to hear the bass drums kicking as well. I like to feel my music."

As for winning the debate, try doing what I do. When I find myself in a situation like yours, I tell myself that there are only two reasons that a debate is worth having.

1) For the benefit of the other(s) whom I'm debating with,
or 2) For the benefit of myself (ego, pride, etc)

helps me dodge a lot of useless arguments in life.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #39 of 54
It seems to me that the OP was working WAY too hard to try to start a conversation in that thread. I would have given up. The other posters in the thread were just trying to brush him away. While I appreciate another Head-fier trying to convert a "speaker-guy", I just don't think it's possible.

Speakers rigs can surpass headphone rigs. However...1500 USD spent on a headphone rig will more than likely sound better than 1500 USD spent on a speaker rig.

Unfortunately, I'm preaching to the choir here.

Nylan

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #40 of 54
Montell, there are more than a few of us into speaker-fi, as well. I enjoy both headphones and speakers.

To the OP, there's no way for you to give the kid a listen. Too bad. I find that to be the best way to settle these sorts of arguments. You don't even have to argue.

Do you think you could persuade him to buy a Grado SR-60? If all he's heard has been Skullcandy and iBuds, the SR-60 will knock him to the floor. He'd probably end up here and his wallet would catch fire. Maybe promise to buy the SR-60 from him for whatever he paid if he doesn't think they're better than his Skullcandys. Just keep telling him that he needs to hear some real Head-Fi before passing judgment, and that you'll buy them at full price if he doesn't love them.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #41 of 54
If another man disrespects your headphones then it is your obligation as a man to let him know that his stupidity WILL NOT be tolerated!!!!! (Joke)
.........All kidding aside, there is nothing you can tell him that is gonna change his mind, period. Just calmly say "let me show you what your music is supposed to sound like" and let him listen to your headphones! If that doesn't win him over then walk away and never talk to him again.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would have to disagree about stupidity and ignorance. for instance, im sure that very few people have any knowledge of good bicycles in this forum: there are a few but really a few.

the others happily live without a bicycle or with a brand that i would never ride. does that do them harm? are they stupid? no, just ignorant or don't care. would a person who sometimes rides benefit from buying a top of the line cervelo? no. the same goes for headphones/earphones and speakers.

for what you use, you will find pleasure and pocket.

what a knob; but I agree; the UE11 couldnt have the best price/performance ratio if they can be matched or bettered by ES3X or similar. but I wont get into that. this thread is a bit strange, what are we suppose to do?? pummel him with insults?? like some kind of internet bullying.

oh and shigzeo: does the name gary fischer mean anything to you?? bikes that is
wink_face.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best part was when dude with the Username of "Dr.Dre," who has a picture of a white teenager looking guy (I'm guessing it's him,) says:

"the thing about headphones is that there is no bass, when i listen to music, i have to hear the bass drums kicking as well. I like to feel my music."

As for winning the debate, try doing what I do. When I find myself in a situation like yours, I tell myself that there are only two reasons that a debate is worth having.

1) For the benefit of the other(s) whom I'm debating with,
or 2) For the benefit of myself (ego, pride, etc)

helps me dodge a lot of useless arguments in life.

what is the problem with a white kid who has the avatar dr dre? i don't get it.

2ndly, ever thought what the 'kid' thought of by meaning kick in? how about body tangible bass which you can get with no headphones at all.

before bashing this 'kid' we got to look at what we are listening too and how they don't impact anything but the brain and ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back