Help me comparing the dynamic range of music. (Blind test)
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VNandor

500+ Head-Fier
I used DSP on two tunes. One of them is supposed to make the differences less noticeable, it is synthetic music with intended distortion. The other one is meant to sound clear. I did the volume matching by ears because I don't have an SPL meter. According to the waveforms differences in volume, loss of dynamic range, and clipping should be present.
After doing an ABX test I couldn't distinguish the original and the processed music. However, it might be because I don't know what to listen for (or bad gear or I'm just deaf) and not because there isn't any noticeable difference.. If you are interested in taking part in my (probably badly produced
tongue_smile.gif
) test let me know and I'll send you the files via PM or in any way you want.
Please help me, I'm really interested if others could actually pass it.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 4
  I used DSP on two tunes. One of them is supposed to make the differences less noticeable, it is synthetic music with intended distortion. The other one is meant to sound clear. I did the volume matching by ears because I don't have an SPL meter. According to the waveforms differences in volume, loss of dynamic range, and clipping should be present.
After doing an ABX test I couldn't distinguish the original and the processed music. However, it might be because I don't know what to listen for (or bad gear or I'm just deaf) and not because there isn't any noticeable difference.. If you are interested in taking part in my (probably badly produced
tongue_smile.gif
) test let me know and I'll send you the files via PM or in any way you want.
Please help me, I'm really interested if others could actually pass it.

I'm confused; why would you need to volume match by ear? Can't you just match the two files digitally to either the same RMS or EBU/ITU rating?

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't know what those values/ ratings stand for or how to measure it so it's just that I don't know what to look for. Matching by ears was easier and still accurate enough to deceive myself.

Here's what foobar's dynamic range meter says about them, the "AVG RMS" match good enough aren' they:

Oh you might think they are wavs but in fact they are 320 mp3s encoded in wav so I don't make anymore differences by encoding them in mp3 again and again.
I used Maximus in FL Studio for the compression and stuff and rendered them. After that I used Audacity for the volume matching

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes, under 0.1dB difference is what you're aiming for so you're good there. I was just saying that you could look at the RMS numbers in foobar first, and then just gain down the louder track in Audacity based on that (saves you the trouble of setting levels by ear).

I also see that the number of samples is slightly different, and if that's associated with any synch issues then it might be possible to ABX the files just by listening for glitches in quick switching. Go ahead and PM me the link and I'll give em a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back