Help me choose wisely!!! Momentum m2 (wired) vs hd25-1 II + dt770 80ohm or hd25 + ath-m50x or m50x + dt770
Jul 27, 2015 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello dear headfiers.... :)

I am really sorry for all the bother but i really need some help on choosing my next headphones....

A couple of months ago i sold all my headphones but i am now wanting to buy 1 or more pairs...

So here's the deal... i am a guy who mostly listens to pop, rock (artic monkeys, biffy clyro, maximo park), indie and alternative (stuff like metronomy and James Blake, Bon Iver), and edm (specially prog and old schoold tiesto trance)....

My favourite headphones so far are the ath m50, the hd25-1 ii, cal! and the first gen of the over ear momentums (i loved them but they had small pads....)....

Right now i am thinking of a couple of options.... The headphones that i am considering right now are the new wired over ear momentum 2.0, the audio technica ath m50x, the beyerdynamic dt770 in the 80ohm version and the legendary sennheiser hd25 1-ii....

So Heres my dilemma.... I want to be able to make the best choice possible and i want you guys to share your opinions on this matter...

I am a guy who likes versatile headphones and i usually choose the best bang for buck.. Usually i use portable sources and i like my headphones to be easy to drive (but i also already got a topping nx1 so i think i am covered for now in terms of amolification), and i usually also like to be able to use them anywhere...

I loved the first gen momentums and i am pretty sure i would like the 2.0 over ears.... They would suit me as home and outside cans but the truth is that at their current price i can for not much more money buy all the other 3 options i mentioned....

Never tried a beyer headphone but i am pretty sure the 80ohm is the one for me because of they seem to have a similar sound sig to the m50s than all the other dt770 versions....

The hd25, had them land loved them.... They clamp yes but the sound is still amazing they are great al rounders and they were a very nice compliment to the 1st gen over ear momentums....

The m50s at the time i liked the bass but i did not like the unnatural and thin treble combined with the recessed mids and weird pads.... But still i admit that the sound was overall pretty good...But right now they seem to have much better pads and the swapable cables makes them an option to use anywhere...

So what do you guys recomend me?

Do i buy the 2.0 over ear momentums only and settle with just 1 pair for all purposes (are they better than a combination of any of the other mentioned headphones?)?

Do i make a dt770 80 ohm + hd25 or m50x combination (or other combination) for home and outside use?
Are these worse, at the same level or better than the momentums 2.0 in terms of sound quality? can i consider even buying all three and have headphones for basically the rest of my life...? :D

Its a confusing choice i know but i would like very much to read your coments on this matter....

Please help the little portuguese guy.... :D

Cheers....

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 24
I think, stick to just getting one headphone. You'd have less to worry about which headphone to wear and pay more attention to the music.
I would recommend the M50X. As they will suit your music styles, pop, rock and edm. It's cheaper than most, has the versatility (cable offerings), portability and easy to drive. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 24
Denon mm400 or oppo pm3 if you want to stay under 400, they are bout very different in sound signature but well over the momentums 2. I've owned the momentums and the denons and demoed the oppos witch I was very impressed

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 24
You could also consider the 32 ohm version of the DT 770 instead, that one is even more easy to drive than the 80 ohm version. I have the 250 ohm version and even that is loud enough (for me).

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 24
  You could also consider the 32 ohm version of the DT 770 instead, that one is even more easy to drive than the 80 ohm version. I have the 250 ohm version and even that is loud enough (for me).

The 320hm dt770 was at first my choice, but after a lot of research and some private messages exchanged with a couple of headfier (including zombie x who posted the beyerdynamic guide thread) i realised that the 32 ohm is much closer in terms of sound sig to the 250 ohm one. the 80ohm is the most distinct dt770 because its sound signature is kind of closer to something like the athm m50 while all the other have toned down bass and significantly more highs. also it seems that 32ohm is not that easier to drive.... i am ok with the 80ohm... i just wished of course that the cable was shorter or coiled.... well, we cant have everything.... :)
  I think, stick to just getting one headphone. You'd have less to worry about which headphone to wear and pay more attention to the music.
I would recommend the M50X. As they will suit your music styles, pop, rock and edm. It's cheaper than most, has the versatility (cable offerings), portability and easy to drive. 

You tried all the others? Do you think sonically the m50x is a much better value than all the others?

You guys think the over ears momentum are better than all the other headphones i mentioned in terms of overall sound quality, resolution, technically....?

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 24
I have tried all the headphones you mentioned, I loved my hd25's but they got replaced by the amperiors. The hd25 sounded more neutral then the momentums to me but with a smaller sound stage

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 24
I have tried all the headphones you mentioned, I loved my hd25's but they got replaced by the amperiors. The hd25 sounded more neutral then the momentums to me but with a smaller sound stage

i had the amperior too and the hd25 1 ii at the same time.... did not like the amperior very much. In my opinion the bass was bigger but boomier and also the mids and highs were much more subdued wich make them not so great for rock as the hd25. In my opinion i thimk thet kind of screwed the hd25 sig on the amperior... it was better for edm because of the accentuated bass but imo the hd25 was a much better, more lively and engaging listening experience. Also the cups on the amperior made it heavier and the velour pads made ot hard for me to find a proper fit while with the pleather on the hd25 fit and isolation was just perfect (aside drom the clamping of course).

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 24
If you didn't like the amperior your Probably not going to enjoy the momentum,the bass is very pronounced and with bass heavy music it bleeds true the mids

I liked the first genaration of the over ear momentums very much. Great all rounder, nice and rich sound. Beautifull mids, didnt find the highs as recessed as some say, bass was good, just a bit slow and miwsing some impact for edm but still performed very decently. I think the over ear momentums were the perfect complimentr to the hd25... Both sound great but the hd25 is more agressive and fun for rock and edn ehile the momentum is richer, a better all rounder but nos as engaging fot more agressive styles.
I just sold my momentums because of the small pads. The fit and seal was horrible and they were unconfortable.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 24
Basically what i want to ear from you guys is this.... Based everything i wrote on the opening post, with a 300 euro budget would you guys prefer just to get o e headphone wich on this case would be the 2nd gen over ear momentum or would you guys rather choose 2 good headphones lile a hd25 and a dt770 or a hd25 and a ma50x ot a m50x and a dt770.... For the same pricr ad the momentum....

Do you guys thinl the 2nd gen momentum is better than any of this headphones and worth doiblr the price?

Heres the current best pricee of this headphones in europe right now...

Momentum over ear 2.0 245 euros on german amazon (265 with taxes and shipping)

Dt770 80ohm 133 on french and german amazob and 135 on thomann

Ath m50x 130 on spanish amazon and 133 on supersonido

Hd25 1 ii 139 on supersonido and the basic edition 145 on spanish amazon

Please share your thought.... All guidance is apreciated.... :)

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 24
Nobody?  
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #15 of 24
  You tried all the others? Do you think sonically the m50x is a much better value than all the others?

I haven't tried all the others. I'm just a sheep because I have one. I suggest you sit and compare the headphones at a local place. 

I loved the first gen momentums and i am pretty sure i would like the 2.0 over ears.... They would suit me as home and outside cans but the truth is that at their current price i can for not much more money buy all the other 3 options i mentioned....

If not, just buy the momentums. Pray to Lady Impulse Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back