Help me choose which Fostex can
Sep 30, 2019 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
Can't decide between the tr-x00 and the th610. Would also consider the E-mu Teaks, but those rarely pop up.
What I'm after is the pair that has the least bass and treble with the best mids. The mildest U shape of the bunch. I've listened to Z's sound demos for what it's worth (not much), using the same set of cans. I think the Teaks sounded the best, followed by the th610.
They all sound full, which is what I like about them. Soundstage isn't all that important, but separation is - want the least congested of the three. I love my 99 Classics (original pads), and I'm after the pair that follows suit, but is a fairly obvious upgrade.

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 8
While I haven't heard the TH-610's, I believe they should be more close to neutral/U-shape than any of the X00's, which are generally considered V-shaped. Ebony wood would be the best choice of X00 for the least V-shape. To be honest almost everything in the Fostex lineup is bass and treble focused, is there any reason why you want them specifically? I've never found the mids from a Fostex something to write home about.

You can also order the Emu Teaks directly from their website, since they're unavailable right now through Drop: http://www.emu.com/order.html#

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 8
While I haven't heard the TH-610's, I believe they should be more close to neutral/U-shape than any of the X00's, which are generally considered V-shaped. Ebony wood would be the best choice of X00 for the least V-shape. To be honest almost everything in the Fostex lineup is bass and treble focused, is there any reason why you want them specifically? I've never found the mids from a Fostex something to write home about.

You can also order the Emu Teaks directly from their website, since they're unavailable right now through Drop: http://www.emu.com/order.html#
The more I read about them, I think the th610 is what I'm after. I'm interested in Fostex as they seem to have a full bodied, dynamic delivery. And similar to the Meze 99 Classics, this is what I prefer for hard rock music. I also like the fact that I can use my Sennheiser cables with a little, simple modding.
On a side note, I'd like to know if I can use my balanced Audioquest Nightowl cable with the Teaks. I read something or rather about having to use a mono or stereo plugs with the Teaks. Don't exactly recall what it was.

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 8
I havent heard the th610 so hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

I have the ebony and recently the teaks.
Teaks have slightly more clarity and stage and a bit stronger mid bass and lower mid fullness. they also have more lower treble energy that adds more crunch and snap. ebony is a bit more laid back overall.

I hope this isnt in bad taste or against any rules. but if you end up deciding on teaks and are okay with buying used. I have some for sale, very little use and attatched cable. selling because they are mostly similar to ebony. My ebony is too scratched up to resell for good value.

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I havent heard the th610 so hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

I have the ebony and recently the teaks.
Teaks have slightly more clarity and stage and a bit stronger mid bass and lower mid fullness. they also have more lower treble energy that adds more crunch and snap. ebony is a bit more laid back overall.

I hope this isnt in bad taste or against any rules. but if you end up deciding on teaks and are okay with buying used. I have some for sale, very little use and attatched cable. selling because they are mostly similar to ebony. My ebony is too scratched up to resell for good value.
Thanks for the reply. If I go with the Teaks, I'll be after the model with detachable cables. I was also considering the Ebony, but the additional weight kinda turns me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back