1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose the right Schiit!!

Next

Last
  1. JamesCanada
    Hey!
    I have a question concerning amps.
    I am looking for a main setup for my living room, were I can chill and just listen to a few tunes before bed.
    I am currently using a PS Audio Sprout 100 and OPPO HA2-SE
    these are the headphones I Own :
    OPPO PM-3, Senn HD-6XX, Senn 598SE, E-MU Teak’s (not yet received) and I am looking for a nice set of higher end open back now (either Aeon’s, 800’s, Clears,) I have to try them at my local shop 1st.

All that being said, I wish to purchase an amp/dac from Schiit. I like the company, the reputation and I wish to endorse them.
    My budget is 1000$ Cad (775$ US)
    I would like your opinion on a few options I had:

1: (500$)
    Magny 3 (99$)
    Modi 2Multi (249$)
    Loki (149$)

2: (750$)
    Vallhalla 2 (349$)
    Bifrost (399$)

3: (700$)
    Lyr 3 with Multibit Dac

4: (600$)
    Jot with Multibit
    (Could also add a Loki)

So, yeah... this is my last attempt before I pick.
    Personally the choice I am most looking for is Lyr 3 with MB, simply because of form and convinience.
    Please, do not hesitate to give your oppinion.
    Thanks!
    James

2. benny386
    Deleted post

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. buke9
    Haven’t heard the Magni3 or Lyr3 yet but just going off what a friend says he loves the Lyr 3. I know his gear as we have been to a few meets together and he calls the Lyr3 lovely that is a good thing. Sure it is not from the Multibit dac as he has another but think the Schiit Multibits are pretty good as I have a Yggdrasil and the others aren’t too bad.

4. Rhamnetin
    I'd actually get a Mjolnir 2 and some cheap DAC until you can afford a better DAC.

5. buke9
    You didn’t like the Lyr 3 ?

6. JamesCanada
    Thanks for the comment, I have a budget I would like to respect.
    With shipping and customs, that would st me back at least 300$ over it.

Thanks for the comments so far guy’s

7. Rhamnetin
    I think it's good for the price, but I would just expect the Mjolnir 2 to be a LOT better, and some reputable sources tell me it is. But since that doesn't seem like a real option, I'd get the Lyr 3 with the multibit DAC built in.

8. buke9
    Just have to say I’m not a fan of the Schiit amps but that is me. Have not heard the Lyr 3 but do have a friend that likes it a lot. He is not on line right now so will not say why he likes it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  9. theveterans
    I'm not a fan of their DAC/amp lineup to be honest until those Lyr 3s and Jot MB come with Gen 5 USBs or if not, digital coaxial inputs.

10. Rhamnetin
    I do think they are overrated, though I'm not sure if there is better than the Lyr 3 for the price (if you need the power that is, otherwise I would suggest there is better). I do like the Magni 3 for $100 though but that's obviously under budget for the OP.

11. buke9
    Will not disagree with you but do love the mulbits .

12. theveterans
    Heard the Jot MB and sad to say it sounded like my Gen 2 Bifrost before I moved to coax as my input. Bimby with Gen 5 + Asgard 2 easily beats the Jot MB to my ears.

13. JamesCanada
    The bimby itself eats up my budget, would you recomend Asgard + Bifrost (no MB) over any of the top setups?

14. theveterans
    IMO, it depends. It's just that Schiit's multibit performance is a lot more affected by the inputs than their DS counterparts. MB sounds very good don't get me wrong, but they can sound on a whole new level with SPDIF input and very clean power feed. Then again, choosing a balanced DAC with multibit (Jot MB) + a decrapifier like Wyred 4 sound recovery would be a good appeal to your budget

15. ScareDe2
    Since GEN 5 Schiit really has become a good company. You don't need any decrapifiers. If Lyr3 comes with GEN5 then go for it.

If not, then Bifrost Multibit + magni 3, until you can afford a better amp.

And if that is too expensive, look at the pre-owned offers. Those things are build like tanks and last forever.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
Next

Last