Help me choose the right Schiit!!
Jun 12, 2018 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JamesCanada

100+ Head-Fier
Hey!
I have a question concerning amps.
I am looking for a main setup for my living room, were I can chill and just listen to a few tunes before bed.
I am currently using a PS Audio Sprout 100 and OPPO HA2-SE
these are the headphones I Own :
OPPO PM-3, Senn HD-6XX, Senn 598SE, E-MU Teak’s (not yet received) and I am looking for a nice set of higher end open back now (either Aeon’s, 800’s, Clears,) I have to try them at my local shop 1st.

All that being said, I wish to purchase an amp/dac from Schiit. I like the company, the reputation and I wish to endorse them.
My budget is 1000$ Cad (775$ US)
I would like your opinion on a few options I had:

1: (500$)
Magny 3 (99$)
Modi 2Multi (249$)
Loki (149$)

2: (750$)
Vallhalla 2 (349$)
Bifrost (399$)

3: (700$)
Lyr 3 with Multibit Dac

4: (600$)
Jot with Multibit
(Could also add a Loki)

So, yeah... this is my last attempt before I pick.
Personally the choice I am most looking for is Lyr 3 with MB, simply because of form and convinience.
Please, do not hesitate to give your oppinion.
Thanks!
James

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 18
Haven’t heard the Magni3 or Lyr3 yet but just going off what a friend says he loves the Lyr 3. I know his gear as we have been to a few meets together and he calls the Lyr3 lovely that is a good thing. Sure it is not from the Multibit dac as he has another but think the Schiit Multibits are pretty good as I have a Yggdrasil and the others aren’t too bad.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 18
I'd actually get a Mjolnir 2 and some cheap DAC until you can afford a better DAC.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 18
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 18
I'd actually get a Mjolnir 2 and some cheap DAC until you can afford a better DAC.
Thanks for the comment, I have a budget I would like to respect.
With shipping and customs, that would st me back at least 300$ over it.

Thanks for the comments so far guy’s

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 18
You didn’t like the Lyr 3 ?

I think it's good for the price, but I would just expect the Mjolnir 2 to be a LOT better, and some reputable sources tell me it is. But since that doesn't seem like a real option, I'd get the Lyr 3 with the multibit DAC built in.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 18
Just have to say I’m not a fan of the Schiit amps but that is me. Have not heard the Lyr 3 but do have a friend that likes it a lot. He is not on line right now so will not say why he likes it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 18
Just have to say I’m not a fan of the Schiit amps but that is me. Have not heard the Lyr 3 but do have a friend that likes it a lot. He is not on line right now so will not say why he likes it.

I do think they are overrated, though I'm not sure if there is better than the Lyr 3 for the price (if you need the power that is, otherwise I would suggest there is better). I do like the Magni 3 for $100 though but that's obviously under budget for the OP.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm not a fan of their DAC/amp lineup to be honest until those Lyr 3s and Jot MB come with Gen 5 USBs or if not, digital coaxial inputs.
Will not disagree with you but do love the mulbits .

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 18
Will not disagree with you but do love the mulbits .

Heard the Jot MB and sad to say it sounded like my Gen 2 Bifrost before I moved to coax as my input. Bimby with Gen 5 + Asgard 2 easily beats the Jot MB to my ears.

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 18
Heard the Jot MB and sad to say it sounded like my Gen 2 Bifrost before I moved to coax as my input. Bimby with Gen 5 + Asgard 2 easily beats the Jot MB to my ears.

The bimby itself eats up my budget, would you recomend Asgard + Bifrost (no MB) over any of the top setups?

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 18
The bimby itself eats up my budget, would you recomend Asgard + Bifrost (no MB) over any of the top setups?

IMO, it depends. It's just that Schiit's multibit performance is a lot more affected by the inputs than their DS counterparts. MB sounds very good don't get me wrong, but they can sound on a whole new level with SPDIF input and very clean power feed. Then again, choosing a balanced DAC with multibit (Jot MB) + a decrapifier like Wyred 4 sound recovery would be a good appeal to your budget

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Since GEN 5 Schiit really has become a good company. You don't need any decrapifiers. If Lyr3 comes with GEN5 then go for it.

If not, then Bifrost Multibit + magni 3, until you can afford a better amp.

And if that is too expensive, look at the pre-owned offers. Those things are build like tanks and last forever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back