Help me choose the right Grados
Aug 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 38
Hey, so if they are being left at your school, what are the chances that you're going to be listening in a noisy-ish environment? I ask because it'll be hard to tell the difference between low and higher end Grados when the environment isn't pretty quiet, in my experience. I'd go with some SR-60s + bowls ....

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 38
SR60s + tape mod if u need the bass (probably will need this if you are in noisy environemnt!)

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 38
MS2s without a doubt. Sound great, and look awesome. Women like them. Awesome cans.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #20 of 38
Ok, I understand the confusion. I'm not a high-schooler, as y'all are probably guessing based on having a locker. I'm a law student. The environment is pretty quiet, most of the time.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghezbora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a second set of headphones to keep at school.

Constraints:
  1. Must be open
  2. Reasonably small is important, it needs to fit in my locker and allow space for books
  3. Does NOT need to be rugged enough to survive backpack transport, it will stay at school
  4. Not more than $300 without a good reason

If size is of import, I do believe the SR60's to the 225's are all the same size. The 325i's get bulky (but they sure are purdy).

Quote:

Is it a waste to get the higher models with that source equipment?

Heck, no. My GS-1000's sound distinctly wonderful and high-end straight outta my iPod, offering detail and frequencies even the 325i's can't with my amp.

Quote:

Or should I just shut up and buy one because they're all good?

By jove, I think you've got it!
icon10.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If size is of import, I do believe the SR60's to the 225's are all the same size. The 325i's get bulky (but they sure are purdy).

Heck, no. My GS-1000's sound distinctly wonderful and high-end straight outta my iPod, offering detail and frequencies even the 325i's can't with my amp.

By jove, I think you've got it!
icon10.gif

Well said. But again all the recommendations have been great. You'll be happy with any of them. From the SR60s to SR225 they just keep getting refined IMHO. The SR325i IMO has more detail and bass and the RS1s I really love. But the GS1000s sound so very different than all the other Grados I heard.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #24 of 38
SR-60, MS-1, SR-225, or MS-2i, depending on how much you feel like spending. If you feel like spending all $300 then the MS-2i seems perfect.

Edit: Smooth and clear female vocals - sounds like you're an Alessandro man to me.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #25 of 38
MS1 or SR60, they sound really good, even in comparison with their bigger brothers. A big show off with SR225, SR325 or MS2 for portable school usage is a bit exagerated IMO.

I personally don't work out a spectacular quality differences between MS1 and MS2 in portable unamped usage. But the MS2 is an expensive and heavy pig.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because if you are going to leave them at school, it isn't a matter of if they are going to be stolen, it is a matter of when

Posts like these make me very happy to be situated in a rural place in old Europe, where violence isn't such a general icon.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the GS1000s sound so very different than all the other Grados I heard.

In what way -- just basically, in just a few words?
Really wondering if they are better than my RS-1....
confused.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #27 of 38
i'm looking into either the sr 80 or the 125, but i'd just like a few queries to be clarified:

a/ i realise they are open headphones but are they noticeably leaky?

i might be tempted in using them on a 6hr train ride once a month, would i be a disturbance to other passengers?

b/ are they good 'all round' headphones?

obviously the reputation for grado is widespread but are they solid in the sense that they are suitable for sparse minimalist music as well as ridiculously complicated math core esque bands ie converge? and various other genres of sounds such as hip hop. i require a strong bass performance as well as clear cut nature, as i also watch a lot of films

c/ how is grado for customer service/warranty etc, all good i presume?

d/ would i need an amp for either the 80 or the 125, as i'd rather not shell out any extra money since my budget is under $250, is this plausible? which of these two would be preferrable? or a completely different model / brand in that price range?

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #28 of 38
if you crank up the volume little bit, grado become loudspeaker, yes it's disturbing ppl around you

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally don't work out a spectacular quality differences between MS1 and MS2 in portable unamped usage. But the MS2 is an expensive and heavy pig.

I think I might have used some different words to say that, but yeah; that's just about it alright.
biggrin.gif

The weight isn't a problem for most folks when just sitting quietly; but moving around can be a real chore. And although I haven't listened to mine unamped, I would suspect that the difference between MS-1 and MS2i wouldn't be all that great at that.

Then again; MS-1 has a pretty darned good fan base! I use my MS2i in conjunction with my HD600 at home, and find them to be equals in all respects, and an excellent complement to each other. If one won't play what I want to hear; the other one will!

Now; on the other hand; if all you'll normally be doing is sitting quietly listening at school, and if folks will be seeing YOU, then MS2i are probably one of the prettiest sets of phones on the planet!
cool.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way -- just basically, in just a few words?
Really wondering if they are better than my RS-1....
confused.gif

I demoed the GS1000 for about 15 minutes out of an RA-1 and Creek OBH-21. I thought they were wayyyy bassy. The bass overpowered everything IMO and the mids weren't as forward or punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back