help me choose a portable audio player
Mar 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mastapro

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm currently in the market for a portable audio player. I will be listening with ATH-m50s and JVC marshmallows. I like to listen to rap, hip-hop, pop, and techno. I want at least 16GB. I am looking for a player with good sound quality and interface. Video is preferred but not necessary. My budget is around $100-$160. Thanks alot.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 32
I suggest a Clip+ with a MicroSD card.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 32
For pure SQ I'd say the s:flo2 but your mileage may vary using that. Sounds amazing though.
If you want something you can pick up at a store the Clip+ as stated by LFF would be a good choice. Very small and sounds great.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 32
Also consider the Sony S or E series, as the SQ totally blows the Sansa lineup away.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastapro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the sansa clip honestly that good? it's only 50$. How's the interface and is it easy to use? I'm going to be using it in the gym also

Yes the audio quality is that good. Seriously. The interface is very easy but also very basic. there is not alot of bells and whistle's in terms of video playback etc. but it does support of good amount of formats(FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 of course, WMA etc etc. FM stero, and a Micro SD card slot.

Perfect gym player. sick price on it.

but if you want Video playback, the Sansa Fuze is also a great choice. This does has video playback but does not shoot video I do believe it uses the same audio chip as the clip+, my father has the clip and I the fuze and I tested some songs using the same ear buds and they do sound identical.

The Fuze is a little bit bigger with a more advanced interface but still nothing too wild . Nice and easy and has a scroll wheel I like alot. It holds pictures, actually look pretty nice. Video playback it good but not great but good enough IMHO. Audio quality is great as said before. Supports the same amount of formats as the clip, and of course the micro SD slot.

the clip is better for the gym because of its size and clip. Fuze you would have to buy an skin with a clip and or an arm band.
Fuze for a bit more of a fun interface and the scroll wheel.

hope this helps. both are the best bang for your buck out there. Both under a $100, the clip well under a $100.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 32
^I agree. Oh and FYI the Clip and Fuze sound the same. And yea I'd say get the Clip+ for the actual clip on it for a sleeve or whatever
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 32
ok, i'm really thinking about getting the sansa clip+ now since i just received an ipod touch as a present yesterday... so i'll be using the clip+ for workouts and such... is the clip on the player flimsy tho? i've seen some reviews that say it breaks easily. Also, is it easy to get music on there?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

ok, i'm really thinking about getting the sansa clip+ now since i just received an ipod touch as a present yesterday... so i'll be using the clip+ for workouts and such... is the clip on the player flimsy tho? i've seen some reviews that say it breaks easily. Also, is it easy to get music on there?

Grats on the iPod. They are good sounding and uber-easy to use. I use my little iPod Shuffle for anything that requires extreme stealth, such as biking (not on public roads) or working out. Be warned though, if you think you might want to go that way, the new Shuffles have in-line controls. Luckily Logitech offers an in-line controller for use with other headphones.

And speaking of other headphones.....

.....I have a pair of Marshmellows around my house somewhere. I don't know where because honestly, I don't care to know exactly where they are. I spent $5 on them solely out of curiosity. If you like them, that's cool, but can honestly say that I've preferred every single ear-bud and IEM I've ever tried to the Marshmellows. In comfort (especially) and sound quality.

With so many really good IEM's available today for very reasonable prices, I recommend stepping up to a better phone so that you can get the most from your new source(s).

Happy listening

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

the clip on the clip+ is sturdy and stiff so it will hang on fine at the gym, i use it at the gym and keep it in my pants pocket with the clip facing out and it's works well

it's easy to put music on the clip+, just connect and it with the included usb->mini usb cable and copy/paste your files onto it

i'd recommend copying the entire folder with the name you want and paste it to the clip+, as i've had trouble with creating new folders and then renaming it

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

alright, i guess i'll use the clip mainly for music and the ipod touch for like apps and such.. where's a good deal on the clip? i can only find an 8g for 60$

Make sure you get a Clip+. That's the one with the micro SD slot. $60 for an 8GB Clip+ is a good deal. If you can get an 8GB Clip+ for $60-$70 and a 16GB micro SD card for $40-$50, you'll have a 24GB player for a little over $100. If you get a 32GB micro SD card, you'll have a 40GB flash player that can use Rockbox.

The Fuze would work too, but the Clip+ has a dedicated volume rocker. That might work better for the gym.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 32
I agree. I got the 4gb Clip today for 53 bucks (I don't think it was that great of a deal, but meh not too bad) to use at school and when my T51 dies. I am very happy with the music and IMO classical music sounds better on that than my T51 (on a flat EQ setting) using my UM3Xs.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

wow i did not know u can use an SD card on the clip+... damn that would be so much cheaper haha. also, wut is rockbox and wut does it do?

I don't whether it was here or ABI I read but someone bought a 2G Clip+ on sale for $20 went out and bought an 8G Micro SD Card for something like $12.

So he got a 10G player that has one of the top audio chips on the market for around $32.

I love Sansa, LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back