Help me choose a Grado!
Apr 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr225, from what I've heard.

Please note: you haven't heard the actual headphones, so what purpose does your post serve? The answer is none.

As for the actual question, hunt a used MS2i. It's much cleaner than a 225 and used you can find them between $200 - $230. I consider the MS2i to be on par with the HF1... but sort of the yin to its yang.

The HF1 is warm and euphoric, the MS2i is clean and neutral. Both interpretations of the Grado sound, but in different ways.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool. I couldnt get into the 325s. the highs were just too shrill for me. depends on what kind of music your going to listen to I suppose. I just know that chet baker was just too "ouch". and prince was out of control. I can honestly say that I did not even think about the bass because I was too focused on the highs. probably the shape of my ear canals. Lots of people love the 325. not for me though.
redface.gif

I encountered the "shrill" high end when using the Nuforce Icon Mobile headphone DAC/AMP, I have since returned it and switched to the Grado RA1 and guess what...no shrill. Just really good and detailed sound.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 35
I have only heard the SR80 and SR225 and for the music I listen to (metal, hard rock, some jazz, some blues), the 225s are fantastic. I got mine barely used for $150 and absolutely love them.

I have heard good things about the other phones people are mentioning, but you can for sure get the SR225s for under $200 and they will not disappoint.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 325i's required about 300hrs of solid burn in time before that shrill was gone. It is something that just happens on the cans when they are new. It is not a permanent thing.

I am more then willing to give them another listen properly burned in. it is entirely possible that the set I listened to was on the newer side. anyone want to loan me a pair for a couple weeks? maybe after the easter holiday? I'll throw in a new unopened Fiio E3 as a thanks? PM me.
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 35
225 is about what you can get for $200, though i have a pair of old 325's no "i" that are in quite good condition if you are interested

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider the MS2i to be on par with the HF1... but sort of the yin to its yang.

The HF1 is warm and euphoric, the MS2i is clean and neutral. Both interpretations of the Grado sound, but in different ways.

God they need to release a HF-1i or HF-2 now
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heard or read?

"Nearly everything I post is just from what I've read. just so you know.
but I have heard the ad700, hd555, senn hd 202, shure se line, v-moda bass freq, and triple.fi 10 pros yuin pk3s, RX700s, "

haha, read, sorry, I didn't think that out all the way before posting is.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #26 of 35
If price/performance is a consideration, I'd get a pair of SR60's. IMO they are 90% of the SR225's. I A/B'd the two and I really had to concentrate to hear the differences. Also, I much prefer the Grado comfies to the bowls.

If you really love the Grado sound and are willing to spend the money, I'd look at a used Reference Series.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #27 of 35
I have tested 3 different Grado models at a store; specifically the 60, 80, and 225. All three were sourced through some Marantz CD player and powered by a Rega Ear amplifier. The music used during the comparison was rock, specifically Black Sabbath (only rock music available). Please keep in mind that all three were the "non-i" models as this comparison was done about a year ago. Of the three, the 225 stood out with its initial "wow" factor. From what I remember, cymbals had a "crisp" presentation and bass was neither overwhelming nor lacking. Detail was precise and the music was "front row". The 60's and 80's on the other hand, were quite similar to the 225's but more similar to each other. The 80's contained more bass quantity and both were slightly less detailed than the 225's. However the most noteworthy difference between the 225's and the other two was the sense of "air" between notes, where the the other two sounded congested in comparison. Overall, all three headphones were incredibly bright with speed. Given the choice of going with one of the three, the SR225 would have been at the top of the list.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please note: you haven't heard the actual headphones, so what purpose does your post serve? The answer is none.

As for the actual question, hunt a used MS2i. It's much cleaner than a 225 and used you can find them between $200 - $230. I consider the MS2i to be on par with the HF1... but sort of the yin to its yang.

actually, it tells him that I've seen more people recommending the 225 as a good bang/buck point in the grado line.
so it does serve a purpose.
just because it's not as helpful as some other posts doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #29 of 35
My first Grado was the SR225, and a few months later I ended up getting the SR325is as well. For what I'm looking for, and for the type of music I primarily listen to (metal), the SR325is are much better. The bass is fuller and deeper, they reveal more detail, they've got more impact, and in general they're just more fun. I even enjoy the (slightly) brighter highs, it makes cymbals sound just a bit more realistic to me. I almost never listen to my SR225 anymore.

I'm not saying that the SR225 are a bad choice; I just very much prefer the sound of the SR325is, and I'm glad I ended up ignoring all of the people who said they were too bright or too aggressive.

Based on the impressions that I get around here, any member of the Grado family would be a good starting point, but the primary recommendations seem to be either the SR60 or SR225. Based on your listening experience with whatever you choose initially, you could figure out what you like and/or don't like about them and choose whichever other member of the family best matches what you're looking for. That's pretty much what I did with the SR225...I chose them based on the highest number of recommendations, listened to them, decided what I really liked about them and what I felt I would want to improve upon, and chose the SR325is next. It's also given me enough time with both of them to offer an experienced recommendation to other Head-Fiers.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 35
I'm going to buck the trend here, and suggest you not waste time muddling about in the middle. There is value in learning to slowly appreciate the differences between headphones, sure, but everyone who bothers to do it ends up with the same perspective.

Try the cheap SR60s. If you love them, awesome. If you love them a lot, and have more money, move up to the RS-1. If you love those a lot, and find even more money, then you have some tough decisions to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back