Help me choose a dolby digital decoder or receiver
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tourman

New Head-Fier
I am trying to output AC3 Dolby Digital via SPDIF from my Cable Box to my PC. I have a Motorola DCH6200 with HDMI, Component and one Optical output, an Auzuntech Prelude for a sound card, which outputs via SPDIF to my Zero DAC where I plug in my Denon D2000 headphones.

I basically just want to listen to the output from my cable box over my headphones, but I am unable to choose any audio format other than Dolby Digital as of a few updates ago (thanks alot TimeWarner >_<). Previously output via optical connected to the SPDIF input on my sound card worked beautifully, and I know the cable is OK as it works with other components (and I can see light shine through it). I would prefer to keep this under $200, as I am not planing in hooking up any speakers.

As long as I can listen to my PC and the cable box at the same time I am all set.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi!

There is a possibility you can still use your card to decode the dolby digital from your cable box. I have a creative card and I can do that.

Anyway you can buy something like Astro mixamp or JVC victor SU-DH1. They receive optical dolby digital and output as stereo or dolby headphones (HRTF), which is a virtual 5.1 technology. The jvc does also decode DTS.
They are both under 200$
But please before buying anything look at all settings on your card. I don't know the settings of your card as it is auzentech and not creative. I only know creative settings.
Quote:
I am trying to output AC3 Dolby Digital via SPDIF from my Cable Box to my PC. I have a Motorola DCH6200 with HDMI, Component and one Optical output, an Auzuntech Prelude for a sound card, which outputs via SPDIF to my Zero DAC where I plug in my Denon D2000 headphones.

I basically just want to listen to the output from my cable box over my headphones, but I am unable to choose any audio format other than Dolby Digital as of a few updates ago (thanks alot TimeWarner >_<). Previously output via optical connected to the SPDIF input on my sound card worked beautifully, and I know the cable is OK as it works with other components (and I can see light shine through it). I would prefer to keep this under $200, as I am not planing in hooking up any speakers.

As long as I can listen to my PC and the cable box at the same time I am all set.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 6
The Prelude uses the X-Fi chipset and modified x-fi drivers, and I've looked at all settings and it just will not decode AC3 Bitstream via SPDIF IN. I actually had more luck decoding an SPDIF input with this card than the regular X-Fi in Win7.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 6
In this situation I would suggest the JVC DH-1 which doesn't seem to do any kind of amplification which would work  better with your Zero DAC.

Easiest, best, but not the cheapest solution.  Still probably better than going Cable Box  ---> PC----> Zero DAC, too many components in the chain :wink:

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 6
I looked at the Astro mixamp, but I ddn't really need another amp (even though I can turn off pre-amp on my Zero DAC), and it will only work with one input at any one time. So if I had coax and optical plugged in, it would only work with the optical and coax would be muted. I also looked at the JVC DH-1, but as I could not find a pic of what inputs it has, I am not sure how it would be connected? Does it have coax, rca or optical out?

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 6
it has  normal line in via 3.5 mm, it comes with the cord and jack, and an optical in (mini)

I think it is better than mixamp for you, as it has a -8db button out which I think is to let less amplification out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back