Help me choose a disc spinner!
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Senn-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
First a bit about my system:

Source:  PS Audio Perfectwave DAC II with Bridge, or via USB input from computer
Amp:  Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 Integrated amp
Headphone Amp: WA6SE
Headphones: HD-800
Speakers: Revel Ultima2 Studio

I am also probably going to get a Red Wine Audio Corvina and LCD-2.

Anyway,  I don't have a disc player and am trying to decide between the PS Audio perfectwave transport, or an Oppo BDP 95 or something else (I am open to suggestions).  I do have an Oppo BDP-93 in my surround system.  Maybe I should move it to the 2 channel set up and run it through the DAC and see how it sounds?

Any input would be appreciated.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
First a bit about my system:

Source:  PS Audio Perfectwave DAC II with Bridge, or via USB input from computer
Amp:  Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 Integrated amp
Headphone Amp: WA6SE
Headphones: HD-800
Speakers: Revel Ultima2 Studio

I am also probably going to get a Red Wine Audio Corvina and LCD-2.

Anyway,  I don't have a disc player and am trying to decide between the PS Audio perfectwave transport, or an Oppo BDP 95 or something else (I am open to suggestions).  I do have an Oppo BDP-93 in my surround system.  Maybe I should move it to the 2 channel set up and run it through the DAC and see how it sounds?

Any input would be appreciated.

I have listened to the Oppo-95 extensively and I have spent a few hours with the Perfect Wave Transport at my dealers. You will be happy with either as they both are great Redbook players. It is funny how after ripping all my discs to AIFF, sometimes it is fun and very satisfying to listen to them on the disc too. (Gotta love the hobby!) In truth, I don't know that I could perceive substantial differences between the Oppo and the PS Audio units. Either will be very strong devices for Redbook playback and two channel. I would say to enjoy the hunt and take the time you need exploring either unit before making a final choice.

For me, my Denon DVD-5900 is also a great transport and it is fun to switch from playing it through the Denon receiver and use the Denon DAC's or to move things around and send the signal directly to the DacMagic Plus to use the Wolfson's over the AKM's in the Denon.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy the hunt!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Wow.. Nice system. I heard the Studio 2s very nice, but I was smitten with the F52s, though the bottom end was a bit dry sounding.
What about this.. http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wtp1.html
as a transport, sounded really nice at the NY Show a bit back

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 6
I did look at the woo cd transport because, to me, it is probably the sexiest cd transport i have ever seen. I am a bit leery of it though as there are no reviews at all. I went ahead and hooked up my bdp-93 to the dac and listened to Yoshimi Battles Pink Robots on DVD audio and it sounds great. I am guessing that the 95 can only be better. Plus, i am curious to how the sabre dac in the oppo sounds compared to the wolfson in the ps audio. I don't have a lot of SACD or DVDA but it would be nice to have a universal player. I think after adding a disc player and the lcd/corvina i will be done buying gear and probably concentrate on more music, so i can see myself getting into collecting sacd/dvda. I will have to try some redbook cds now on the oppo and if they sound as good as the dvda I think i will just get the oppo 95. Does anyone have any problems playing it without a monitor?

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Does anyone have any problems playing it without a monitor?

My Oppo-83 has a nice and easy OSD. The monitor is not necessary to do whatever I need to do. Certainly more information, but you can still navigate without it.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I will have to try some redbook cds now on the oppo and if they sound as good as the dvda I think i will just get the oppo 95. Does anyone have any problems playing it without a monitor?

I have an Oppo 95, you certainly wouldn't regret the purchase. You can't navigate the "settings" menu or "home" menu without a monitor. Solution --Use a HDMI splitter. However, you can pop in a SACD/CD no problem for auto play. You also have the option of doing DSD analog out besides the standard PCM. Provided the disc has a DSD layer of course. You may also find the XLR out is too hot. If you do, try turning down the Oppo's volume to 90. If that doesn't work, get a passive XLR attenuator. Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back