Help me buy my first computer
May 28, 2007 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I made it though my first year of college without owning a computer, but I'll be transferring to a new school in the fall and think it's time to explore this idea of "efficiently not having to go to the library five times a day."

I really have no idea where to start. Any tips where to buy, how to buy, or what features really are that amazing? How much should I expect to spend on something like this?

Right now my criteria are something like this:

Laptop.

Must be able to run media player, word processing (or maybe not even this since I'm thinking of switching to Google Docs), and the internet.

Lightweight. Definitely under five pounds, and maybe closer to two and a half. I saw one model at Best Buy, which weighed 2.9 lbs. and it was really nice. here it is on yahoo shopping

Thin when closed. Less than 1 ½ inches would be ideal. I want to put it in a bag or something and not have it take up too much space. I don't mind if the screen size is large though.

One last thing I am still trying to decide is whether or not to try to get a laptop with a full size keyboard on it. The keyboard on the lightweight model I mentioned earlier feels really cramped to me, would I get used to this or what?
Thank you.

May 28, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 40
This is very nice:

xpsnb_m1210_front_131x145.jpg

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

On at $1199 for a baseline of 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM and Vista. However I suggest you upgrade to 2 GB. It's very, very small. I used to use it when I decided I didn't need to travel around so much anymore. That's why I have this monster right now:

xps_m1710_front_131x145.jpg
>
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 40
How about a Macbook? The 13 inch model is under an 1.5 inch thick, but it weighs 5.1 pounds.

The dell that Assorted linked to looks very nice, too.

May 28, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 40
There are very few full-featured machines these days under 5 pounds. Many of the ultralight machines have no optical drive, which can be a pain to do without. I'd second the vote for the Macbook - they are so well designed and such a joy to use, though I had a Vaio very similar to the one you linked to and it was certainly a good machine. Fujitsu is another machine I'd suggest in the lightweight category.

May 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 40
Sony Vaio TX and SZ series are very portable but cost a bomb and may make you a thief's wet dream depending on what your area is like.

The Asus W3J is really sweet, give that a look.

MacBook is also a good choice if you stick to the tasks you've outlined (no gaming or 3D apps).

May 28, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 40
For your purposes, any computer will do and will be overkill. Word processing, playing music, and the internet and pretty easy tasks.

I suggest looking for something small, light, and has good battery life.

The keyboard is something you should really try and figure out. Smaller computer usually aren't fully featured but they are more portable. I carry a lot of stuff sometimes and I can't deal with too heavy a computer. Maybe you might be carrying books also?

I have 3 computers of different sizes. 8.9in screen, 10.7, and 15.4in. The TX keyboard is fine for me. I'm using the previous generation to that computer as I'm posting this. It's fine but expensive. I suggest first figure out what size/weight is good for you.

May 29, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 40
I have no problems with Dell but you can't touch the keyboard and touchpad before you buy it. I don't know about you fellas but these things are important to me.

I also like the Apple laptops because it attracts women.

May 29, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apple should list that as a feature.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know what women you've been talking to lately, but some of them may have been men.

Very, very nerdy men.

Who like to dress in women's clothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back