Help me buy desktop speakers!
May 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Matvei

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently running a Fostex HP-A8 connected to my MacBook Pro.
Headphones are Fostex TH900.

The HP-A8 will also output to (powered) speakers, so I want to add some to my system.
These are for listening/audiophile use, not professional use.

Fostex makes their own audiophile speakers, however they are not designed for near-field listening.

On the other hand, many of the "audiophile" desktop speakers like the KEF X300 do not have RCA inputs and also do not allow you to bypass their DAC.

So I am looking for a pair of high end, audiophile desktop speakers with the following requirements:

1. Self-powered
2. Near-field (i.e. computer desktop use)
2. RCA inputs
3. Internal DAC, if present, can be bypassed

The AudioEngine lineup is a little bit too low end for me. 

Currently, I am considering the Adam Artist 3 or 5.

Please give me other suggestions to consider that meet these requirements.

May 27, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 14
What is your bass expectations? Could be smaller speakers and a sub would be the way to go. Or larger speakers.

And what do you mean by "designed for near-field listening?" Some speakers tend to be marketed that way, but many speakers will work perfectly fine for nearfield use compared to those marketed for nearfield use.

May 28, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 14
2. RCA inputs

Why does the studio monitor (speakers) need to have an RCA input, something wrong with using lets say TS mono 1/4" inputs?
You could easy run a cable with RCAs on one end, with Mono 1/4" plugs on the other end, to connect the Fostex HP-A8 to 1/4" inputs on studio monitors.

May 28, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 14

Why does the studio monitor (speakers) need to have an RCA input, something wrong with using lets say TS mono 1/4" inputs?
You could easy run a cable with RCAs on one end, with Mono 1/4" plugs on the other end, to connect the Fostex HP-A8 to 1/4" inputs on studio monitors.

That is fine as well, even though I do prefer RCAs.

Well, that's the question. What does adequate bass mean to you

Since I use the TH900, I would say I prefer a relatively flat response with a slight warmth to it...nothing overpowering. I do not want huge bass that drowns out the rest of the music.

May 28, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 14
That is fine as well, even though I do prefer RCAs.

Since I use the TH900, I would say I prefer a relatively flat response with a slight warmth to it...nothing overpowering. I do not want huge bass that drowns out the rest of the music.

Smaller speakers will have less bass extension. Kind of depends on what kind of music you listen to as to how deep in frequency response you might want. What genres do you listen to?

May 28, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 14
Rock, Classical, Electronic.

Hopefully I can either audition or at least read reviews for any suggested speakers.
The Adam Artist series looks great in theory but I haven't read many reviews.
The Fujitsu units also look good but there is no information on whether you can bypass the DAC.
Also, you can't add a sub which seems like a downside and most of the wireless functionality is a waste for me.

May 28, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 14
Rock, Classical, Electronic.

Hopefully I can either audition or at least read reviews for any suggested speakers.
The Adam Artist series looks great in theory but I haven't read many reviews.
The Fujitsu units also look good but there is no information on whether you can bypass the DAC.
Also, you can't add a sub which seems like a downside and most of the wireless functionality is a waste for me.

Your Fostex HP-A8's analog output is a pre-out isn't it? So if you buy a sub with RCA inputs and outputs, you'd set things up Fostex->sub->speakers.

And have you considered passive speakers? These Philharmonitors measure 42Hz - 30kHz (+/- 2db), which is pretty deep. You might not even need a sub with them, depending on whether you are looking for <40hz response for some types of electronics music or classical organ music. Philharmonic Audio is an Internet direct dealer, so their speakers are well known for being a better value than speakers that sell at traditional brick and mortar stores that have to include markup for resellers. An Emotiva mini-x a100 could easily power these for computer use.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 14
I can recommend Dynaudio BM5a mkII's and JBL LSR305's. I have a set of each, and they're both superb for near-field listening. The JBL's are significantly cheaper, but still I must admit the sound quality they provide is far higher than their price point might indicate. The Dynaudios are a little more crisp and controlled, with what seems to me nearly perfect midrange and vocal quality, but you definitely can't go wrong with the JBL's.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Since you don't want to use the DAC in the Adam Artists why not save yourself some money and get the AX3 or AX5 instead?

They are the front ported pro as opposed to multimedia equivalents. F5 would be cheaper still and still more than a match for the (still excellent) 305s.

Incidentally when I recently tried to buy a second pair of A3X for myself they were unavailable and my dealer suggested I give a pair of Eve SC204 a chance with the option of returning them when the Adams were back in stock. I still have the Eves and they are now my desktop nearfield monitors of choice. 

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar14/articles/eve-sc204-ts107.htm

http://www.musictech.net/2014/03/eve-audio-sc204-ts107-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back