Help Me Bring My Ipod 3rd Gen Back to Life
Mar 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok so its been about a year since my ipod 3rd gen was working. When it stopped working, I bought a new battery for it ( it was pretty big) from ipodjuice and put it in and everything and tried charging it but wasn't able to get anything tto come oup. So i put the old battery in and i can get the apple logo to come up and then it shows that missing file/folder thing. What can i do?

it shows the apple logo for a few seconds then the folder thing then reboots.

I connect it to my pc but it says that it has installed the hardware and its ready to use then it says its unrecognized.

what can i do??? i could buy a NEW battery that is normal sized and try charging it up but what about the corrupted file sign?

IS their a way to save my beloved ipod. I have used it in the past for atleast 4 years and it was amazing. i love it more than my 5th gen new one but I want to get it back up and working

btw its 20 gigs

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 19
Sounds to me like the HDD is dead. I have owned several iPods and whenever they did that it was a problem with the hard drive. About the only thing you can do is crack open the iPod and take out the drive and test it in something else, such as another player, or in a USB converter. If the hard drive works in something eles then there is something wrong on the mainboard of the iPod.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds to me like the HDD is dead. I have owned several iPods and whenever they did that it was a problem with the hard drive. About the only thing you can do is crack open the iPod and take out the drive and test it in something else, such as another player, or in a USB converter. If the hard drive works in something eles then there is something wrong on the mainboard of the iPod.

Yeah im not sure if the HDD is dead, it was working before. How do I test the hard drive from the ipod in something else?? My dad has a 4th gen photo, would that work?

Also it could be the connector from the hard drive to the ipod. right?

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 19
To test the HDD I bought a 1.8" toshiba HDD enclosure. (Ebay Link) It has a USB connection so that you can plug the HDD directly into your computer. If the computer recognizes the HDD and lets veiw it contents or lets you format the drive then the dirve is still good.

If windows does not recognize the drive or it will not let you format it then the drive is toast.

I really wouldn't think the the HDD connecter in the iPod would be the cause, unless you have opened the iPod before and were not very careful with the ribbon inside it.

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

To test the HDD I bought a 1.8" toshiba HDD enclosure. (Ebay Link) It has a USB connection so that you can plug the HDD directly into your computer. If the computer recognizes the HDD and lets veiw it contents or lets you format the drive then the dirve is still good.

If windows does not recognize the drive or it will not let you format it then the drive is toast.

I really wouldn't think the the HDD connecter in the iPod would be the cause, unless you have opened the iPod before and were not very careful with the ribbon inside it.

thanks for the link. My dad said that he had to resolder 2 things. the hdd connector and another connector. I will post picture: stupid memory card thing isn't working.

He had to resolder the connector from the Top of the ipod (hold switch/headhpone jack) and also the HDD connector, so those could still be corrupted. but would that be the problem if it is saying the ipod files are corrupted? also the battery is pretty bad and would only stay charged for about 10 seconds, then you would have to re-connect it.

but yeah I will have to test the HDD

UPDATE: I took the HDD out and the ipod still does the same thing it does with the hard drive in (reboots and shows logo and corrupted file) i think its the hard drive or the hard drive connector (1 of the 2). If i got a new hard drive, how would I load the ipod software on it??? they are like $60. damnit

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 19
I have another question... WIth the new battery, the ipod wont even come up. Does it need the HDD in order to charge it??? It wont let me charge it currently. It shouldn't be a "bad' hdd so i am not sure.

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 19
And a quick question. when you turn in the iPod with the Hard drive still connected, does the hard drive spin up, or do you hear any noise at all coming from the drive.

Whenever there is any problem at all with the HDD it will show the bad folder icon. Corrupt file system, bad HDD, no HDD, it is all the same to the iPod.

And when you put in the new battery, did you try hooking it up to an power outlet and then trying to turn it on. If it does come on when you connect external power you can try forcing it into disk mode to see if it will chagre the battery. Right when the ipod is turned on and you see the apple logo, hold both the FFwd and Rwd keys at the same time and it will force the ipod into disk mode until you reset it.

Also here is all the hidden key commands for the iPod.

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

And a quick question. when you turn in the iPod with the Hard drive still connected, does the hard drive spin up, or do you hear any noise at all coming from the drive.

Whenever there is any problem at all with the HDD it will show the bad folder icon. Corrupt file system, bad HDD, no HDD, it is all the same to the iPod.

And when you put in the new battery, did you try hooking it up to an power outlet and then trying to turn it on. If it does come on when you connect external power you can try forcing it into disk mode to see if it will chagre the battery. Right when the ipod is turned on and you see the apple logo, hold both the FFwd and Rwd keys at the same time and it will force the ipod into disk mode until you reset it.

I will try connecting the disk and see if it spins up when the ipod is turned on.

Update: it doesn't spin.

The corrupt folder shows wether the HDD is connected or not.

I hooked up the power cable to the new battery and it starts coming up. so that is a good sign that the battery is working.

I did the little reset hold fww and revv and it just keeps the apple logo, is that normal??? it looks like it is frozen with the apple logo. idk

My assumption: I feel it is either a bad hard drive, or a bad hard drive connector. The hard drive should be fine because it was working ok before.. I don't know what could have gone wrong with it. But again their is only 1 way to test it out and get that internal casing thing. If I was to reformat the hard drive (if it was still working) how would I load the software back onto it?

UPDATE: i got into diagnostics mode, what can I do in here? it does a weird thing when I go into it, the light flashes and it beeps and the apple log spins backwords but I am able to get into it

UPDATE!!: in diagnostics mode I did a HDD test and it failed.

should I order the HDD connector or the HDD internal thing to test it.??

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 19
what could cause the IPOD HDD to die?? i mean i didn't do anything to it that should cause that to be the problem. My dad had to resolder the connector for the hard drive, i think that that is the problem, but not 100% sure. would it be wiser to buy the hdd connector or the enclosure to test the hdd?

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 19
Here are my options:

Buy refurbished 20gig hard drive: ~$15
Buy Hard drive enclosure to test current drive: ~$15
Buy hard drive connector: ~$7

Which is the most worth it in my position?

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 19
I think it's God forcing you to upgrade to a new 160 gig
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's God forcing you to upgrade to a new 160 gig
wink.gif

well I have an ipod 5th gen, 30 gig, which is enough. I just want to bring my old ipod back to life for a backup/ mess around ipod... any more ideas???

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 19
In my thread I asked about something similar to your situation. I would look for the 1.8 to compactflash/minidrive adapter to put on your ipod, buy a nice cheap compactflash card (8Gb I got for $40 and a 16GB I got for $60) and plug it in and use it. If its just the hard drive its definately going to work, but you have to worry about the form factor, and make sure its small enough, cheers!

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 19
Ah its so nice to see someone keeping it "real" as they would say.

I would buy a "Hard drive enclosure to test current drive" FIRST just to say you have one for future problems/tests/etc.

Second of all. Why not go "Compactflash"? WILL help with your battery problem and at the same time it will benefit you in the future.

So lets update here: you have the hard drive out. You turn the iPod on and then what? You get a folder with a sad face? And you say after that the iPod only stays on for 10 secs....?

It might be a case of: firmware corrupted, bad battery, bad hard drive all together for all you know.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah its so nice to see someone keeping it "real" as they would say.

I would buy a "Hard drive enclosure to test current drive" FIRST just to say you have one for future problems/tests/etc.

Second of all. Why not go "Compactflash"? WILL help with your battery problem and at the same time it will benefit you in the future.

So lets update here: you have the hard drive out. You turn the iPod on and then what? You get a folder with a sad face? And you say after that the iPod only stays on for 10 secs....?

It might be a case of: firmware corrupted, bad battery, bad hard drive all together for all you know.

Yes a hard drive enclosure would be the smartest thing to do first. Compact flash is expensive, and this is an old ipod, dumping $60 for a 16gb compact flash doesn't seem truly worth it. but idk. I know it would be no moving parts and would be nice. Maybe its a good idea.... Where do I get a converter? how would I connect it to my ipod? cheapest place to find one???? (maybe used?)

I have the hard drive in, i turn the ipod on it shows the logo and then shows the folder ! thing. I have the hard drive out, it does the same thing.... SO it isn't recognizing the hard drive, or the Hard drive is corrupt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back