Help me before I waste money
Jul 12, 2005 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

memorex

New Head-Fier
I'm looking -very- hard at the headroom Desktop Amp:
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...esktop-amp.php

combined with their power supply.

That's something like a grand to go with my RS-1's. So the headphones will be less than the amp/supply.

I already have a headroom Little amp.

The reason I'm looking at the new amp is because of the USB and optical input.

I'd be using this at the office with WinAMP mp3's. So to get rid of my office machine's ok sounding but questional heritage internal sound card (it's a laptop, I can't swap it), this is ideal.

But the question is, would anyone expect it to necessarily sound any better??

The rs-1 is already very easy to drive, I turn the laptop way down, turn the amp to its middle and it's sometimes too loud...

Help!

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 5
I say step on over to the Computer as Source Components Forum, and ask for recommendations on a good external soundcard for your application. Then, have one of the builders build you a RA-1 clone amplifier with the features and outer casing you desire.

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes, I would expect it to sound better. Basically, you're going to be limited by the source more than by the DAC/amp with the Headroom stuff.

Unlike the previous poster, I'd recommend Headroom's USB DAC over a sound card -- it's really really good, and I'd be shocked if any other USB sound card were to sound better.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by memorex
... I already have a headroom Little amp.

The reason I'm looking at the new amp is because of the USB and optical input. ...
But the question is, would anyone expect it to necessarily sound any better?? ...

Well... my experience with upgrading HeadRoom amps is that each generation is indeed an improvement over the last with my hi-end Sennheisers. Haven't heard the new line yet, but the jump from old Little to new Desktop/PS is a big one and I'd be very surprised if you didn't find a marked improvement.

The grand thing is that, with the 30-day return policy, you're not really taking a risk by trying the thing out!

Good luck!
Beau

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 5
My wild guess is that it will sound much better mostly because of the improvement in the DAC, although you will probably get a subtle bit from the amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back