Help Mac G5 imac No Red Light For Optical Output
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
I have a new mini to toslink cable, but the optical output from imac headphone jack has no light, and of course therefore no sound
frown.gif
No where in the preferences is there anywhere to change audio too optical output as far as I can see. I have tried everything as far as I know, does anybody has any ideas?

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In CORE Audio, is the output set to Built-in audio?

Thanks xenithon. Yes set to Built in audio, see pic. Is this right
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 18
Yes, that is how my computer is configured to use the built-in optical connection.

I have to point out that I don't see a red light coming from the port, either, but my computer feeds my DAC just fine.

I am not trying to be pedantic but have you tried connecting the computer to your DAC via the cable that you mentioned (despite the lack of a red light) and then tried to play it via iTunes or whatever your player is?

I notice that you are using the same DAC as me (CA 840c) - also make sure that the player is set to "INPUT 1" (or whatever you have named the optical port input).

OH, finally, there are two ports on the back that can accept the mini-TOSlink cable. One is the headphone/optical output port. The other is the input port. Of course, only the output works. I mention this because I used the incorrect port initially and thought that I had broken something
wink.gif

Have fun!

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 18
You have the optical cable plugged in, right? Then looking for light in the other end of the cable...
Cause the optical out will not be turned on unless you plug in a suitable cable.

..and yes the preferences looks right. Meaning that there are no changes from using the built-in speakers

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 18
No luck, all is set up correctly. The only thing that is odd is the mini end of the cable that connects to the mac does not insert all the way in. It disables the speakers in the mac though, also I have tried with quite some force to get this to fit tighter in (it's in as far as it can go).

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 18
Then it certainly sounds like you have a broken sound card/motherboard.
Cause it should be a simple task. Just plug in the optical cable, hook in up to the amp, then enjoy music. No alteration of settings needed..

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 18
Do you have or have access to an Airport Express?

You could try streaming to it and use the optical out on that device to feed your DAC. At least that would allow you to control for the cable and the DAC working correctly.

FWIW, my mini-TOSlink cable doesn't seat all the way inside like a regular TOSlink cable does into a piece of equipment. It sits a little bit out but I get a good connection.

I have a stupid question - does the G5 have an optical out?

EDIT: I just looked at the apple site for the G5 and apparently there are TOSlink (the big connectors) in addition to a shared speaker out/mini TOSlink port. This was from the documentation for a PowerMac G5.

If you have an iMac (which I use) there is only the shared port.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have or have access to an Airport Express?

You could try streaming to it and use the optical out on that device to feed your DAC. At least that would allow you to control for the cable and the DAC working correctly.

FWIW, my mini-TOSlink cable doesn't seat all the way inside like a regular TOSlink cable does into a piece of equipment. It sits a little bit out but I get a good connection.

I have a stupid question - does the G5 have an optical out?

EDIT: I just looked at the apple site for the G5 and apparently there are TOSlink (the big connectors) in addition to a shared speaker out/mini TOSlink port. This was from the documentation for a PowerMac G5.

If you have an iMac (which I use) there is only the shared port.

Thanks whaleboy, this is a great idea I haven’t got Airport Express but need it anyway. Definitely using correct port, even says optical output on the jack which is a combo for headphone listening as well. I’ve also seen the ones you’ve looked at, this may be an older style model.

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 18
Thank you ladies and gentleman
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
, bought Airport Express great idea, as I was going to buy soon anyway. All connected and working great. Now I have question as to sound quality is this set up an issue?

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 18
What do you mean by 'an issue'? Airport Express is limited to 16/44.1 but can output that signal as bitperfect audio. Is that what you mean?

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by 'an issue'? Airport Express is limited to 16/44.1 but can output that signal as bitperfect audio. Is that what you mean?

mmm didn’t know it was limited to 16/44.1 but thats ok, I have some higher res stuff I was excited about hearing oh well
redface.gif
The issue was all those ones and zeros floating around in the air some losing their way some smashing into each other and getting mixed up. I believe in voodoo and all snake oil and you can’t convince my otherwise
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 18
Ok now I’m getting a squelching sound
frown.gif
I pause it goes away, but creeps back. Also music goes crazy when this happens.... is this a jitter problem? What’s going on?

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe in voodoo and all snake oil and you can’t convince my otherwise
wink.gif

Yeah man, I've seen your vibra-pods/cones...
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...is this a jitter problem? What’s going on?

Not jitter. Damn man you really are into the oil aren't you... I should offload some gear!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Check the connection of your optical cable - I've had them do odd things when not securely plugged in. Other than that I've no idea what squelches (well not serious suggestions anyway...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back