Help: Jazz recommendations for my wedding
Jun 20, 2002 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jbannow

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting married on the 13th of July (about 3 weeks from now) and need some music to play during the reception. This will be a casual event, so no dancing, just background music.

My fiancee and I are hoping for some suggestions for Jazz, preferably slow standards. We both really liked the "Best Of Ella & Louie" CD, and would like some other CDs in this vein. We need about 3 hours worth of tunes in addition to said Ella & Louie.

So ....

Slow ballads / standards
3 hours worth

Does anyone recommend the Ella & Louie boxset? Is that too much of a good thing to play at once?

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Here are a few:
Miles Davis "Love Songs"
Michael Franks "The Art Of Tea"
Maybe some big band stuff mixed in? Bassie, Ellington, Miller?

and, early Congrats on your wedding!

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 14
Congratulation!!
here are some of the best imo
Art Tatum, Ben Webster- The Tatum Group Masterpieces
Bill Evans Trio- Waltz for Debby
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
Eminem - The Eminem Show......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
just joking for this 1
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes. We'll be hitting the library and listening to some of these this week. 3 more weeks to go!

We also picked from our collection Norah Jones. That leaves another 2 albums to pick out.

Any other suggestions out there? Nina Simone? Billy Holiday?

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Jeff,

Congratulations!

You mentioned vocals a couple of times and most of the recommendations coming back at you are traditional small group jazz with the exception of Michael Franks.

For this special occasion, especially for background, mood setting, since you mentioned slow ballads, standards, you can't go wrong with any of Diana Krall's music. She's got 4 or 5 CD's out now and any of them would be terrific. Older female stuff...Sara Vaughn, Ella (the best), Dinah Washington. I love Billie Holliday, but I think her stuff is a little bluesy and "down" for this occasion. Other contemporaty female stuff...Cassandra Wilson, Susannah McCorkle. If you want to balance out the female vocalists with a male voice, although you mention jazz, you couldn't go wrong with either Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett, while not being "jazz" per se', swings. Michael Franks is good, but most of his stuff is a little "cutesy", although fun. For instrumentals (Wow, where do I start?!), again, keeping the "moment" in mind, Michel LeGrand orchestral stuff, selected Ellington, Basie (if you're doing your own mix) and on and on.

This is light jazz and standard stuff, but I think appropriate for wedding/reception that'll be upbeat and romantic.

Can't think of the specific CD, but Krall's last one is accompanied by a full suite of strings and are all love songs (come to think of it, I hitnk all her stuff is!). Any of Sinatras's stuff with Nelson Riddle conducting (from the 60's/70's?) would be awesome!

Incidentally, does your finacee' know that you're a headphone junkie?

Congratulations and the best of luck!

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by davo
Jeff,

Congratulations!

Thanks ... 3 weeks to go and I'm excited. (Oh boy ... only 3 weeks
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

You mentioned vocals a couple of times and most of the recommendations coming back at you are traditional small group jazz with the exception of Michael Franks.

For this special occasion, especially for background, mood setting, since you mentioned slow ballads, standards, you can't go wrong with any of Diana Krall's music. She's got 4 or 5 CD's out now and any of them would be terrific. Older female stuff...Sara Vaughn, Ella (the best), Dinah Washington. I love Billie Holliday, but I think her stuff is a little bluesy and "down" for this occasion. Other contemporaty female stuff...Cassandra Wilson, Susannah McCorkle. If you want to balance out the female vocalists with a male voice, although you mention jazz, you couldn't go wrong with either Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett, while not being "jazz" per se', swings. Michael Franks is good, but most of his stuff is a little "cutesy", although fun. For instrumentals (Wow, where do I start?!), again, keeping the "moment" in mind, Michel LeGrand orchestral stuff, selected Ellington, Basie (if you're doing your own mix) and on and on.

This is light jazz and standard stuff, but I think appropriate for wedding/reception that'll be upbeat and romantic.

Can't think of the specific CD, but Krall's last one is accompanied by a full suite of strings and are all love songs (come to think of it, I hitnk all her stuff is!). Any of Sinatras's stuff with Nelson Riddle conducting (from the 60's/70's?) would be awesome!

I have some Tony Bennett and had not even considered him ... gotta pop it in.

Lots of music to check out now ... I'm currently listening to some Diana Krall samples on CDNow.

Quote:

Incidentally, does your finacee' know that you're a headphone junkie?

Yup! In fact, she just got a pair of Audio Technica W11R headphones for her birthday. (from me of course)
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Hai Jeff and future wife.
Both "Van harte gefeliciteerd".
That's Dutch for congratulations.

Listen to Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.
or Bill Evans - In his own Way.

It's real good.

Peter.

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 14
1. "The gentle side of John Coltrane": this includes some of the Johnny Hartman stuff mentioned above.

2. "Stan Getz: the Bill Evans and Chick Corea Sessions"

Jun 27, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks again for all the suggestions ... this has made my job of picking the music much easier. Almost there ... 16 days left ...

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
[size=medium]Go Back! It's a Trap![/size]

It's far to late for that now ... I've got too much invested in her!
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 14
Congratulations!
Try some John Pizzarelli, his cd All of Me would make some nice wedding reception music. The cd Our Love Is Here To Stay is nice too. Not really jazz...more like big band.
md

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 14
check out Jane Monheit. she is a 22 year old who sings like a bird, i mean she makes it sound so easy. her vocals are placed on top of some cool jazz beats which just sound amazing. i am sure you wont regret checking her out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back