HELP!!! Is there a point where a HEARING IMPAIRED person can no longer enjoy and benefit from AUDIOPHILE equipment??
May 8, 2015 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kaufex

New Head-Fier
Hello!  I am hearing impaired of high frequency from both ears.  I don’t wear hearing aids because I can get by without them with normal conversation.  I have trouble with letter “s”, whisper and echo environment.  I would say that I have ears of a 70- 80 years old even though I am about half that age.  I have always enjoy high quality sound coming from audiophile headphones, DAC, amp, interconnect cables etc.   

I was able to pass the Bronze Ears in the Philips Golden Ear Challenge with a help of a friend.   I realized that I couldn't pass the Details
section without his help.  I realized I am missing some of the audio information in the upper range.  Other sections, I did just fine but my poor ear aren’t able to hear high frequencies.    I am currently doing the Silver Ears.   I am quite discouraged when the difficulties extend to the other sections.  I was able to complete almost everything without an aid except 3 remaining parts.  I am using my AKG Q701 to take the Philip Golden Ear Test.  I wonder if I would perform better with my other cans but half of them are at my parents' place.  They are the Shure SE846, Shure SE425 and Senn HD650.  I won't be able to try my other cans until after I return from oversea in 2 months.

Currently what I have with me are the AKG Q701, AKG K551, Koss PortaPro, Meier Stepdance 2 amp and a Centrance DACport.    I do enjoyed listening to audiophile headphones more than I do with the consumer ones but will there be a point where it won't make a difference to my ears anymore??  Will I be able to enjoy the higher end audiophile such as the HD800, LCD-3 and better amp/DAC with less than ideal hearing?  I am quite concerned there will be diminishing of return if I were to upgrade my equipment in the future.

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

May 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi

I am in my 60's, and have suffered from tinnitus for the past 14 years. I first damaged my ears while doing a DIY speaker project with un-attenuated tweeters. Since then I have a constant ringing in my ears at about 7500 Hz. Recently, I had a pair of Senn HD800's for a week, and managed to do further damage to my ears! Now the ringing is permanently louder.

So, how to face the future? I have just resigned myself to being able to enjoy music, in spite of the physical problems. When I get involved in the music, I do not remember the ringing in my ears.

For your case, I have recently read that experimenting with playback software with good equalization (e.g. FLACplayer iPod and iPad), and using the built in left-right balance settings on Apple devices, you may compensate for some areas of hearing loss.

Just enjoy the music, and let the pleasure distract you from your limitations.

May 9, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Peterinvan,  tinnitus is very bad especially if you enjoy listening to music.  Is like a person who loves to hike but have knee problems.  If I had your condition, I would probably pay the price to listen a little bit of music every now and then.  Once in a blue moon I do suffer a little bit tinnitus but it goes away.   It won't stop me from enjoying music.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I just hope I know when to stop upgrading if my ears can't tell the difference.  I don't know if this the case or not for people who are hearing impaired.  I don't have the opportunity to listen to high-end headphones so I would like to know some insights of what people may have about this.  All my purchases have been made based on reviews. 
redface.gif

May 9, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Try restore with hearing therapy, play low volume barok/classical music with only high freq. EQ' ed, sissling sounds.
http://www.soundtherapyperth.com/benefits/hearing.php

http://www.google.com/search?hl=restore+hearing+therapy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back