help in selecting a pair of headphones for pc and radio studio use
Feb 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

chameleon44

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have read many of the reviews and posts about the headphones i am among to choose from.

the thing is, there is no place i could in fact try them out (i'm in greece), in terms of sound and comfort (fit) so i would like to ask for the help of those who owned or tried out some or all of these.

the pairs i want to choose from are similar in budget and are

senn's HD448, HD 438, HD 215 and beyer's dt235 (expensive to cheapest but small differences)

i will use the headphones in the studio, as i present a show in a radio station and at home watching a movie on the pc or listening to music on the pc.

i would like it to be around the ear and not on it (i believe i have a normal sized ear), in order to avoid any tiredness after long use in either case. 

i would love any help from anyone who have used these. 

thanx in advance

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 21
Hi, I'm also looking for something similar, I got my hands on DT231, sound-wise I'd say DT235 would be fine, but I'm pretty sure they are on-ear for most people rather than over-ear, and the headband is kind of strange.

I'm looking at HD438 and I'm afraid they might be too small for my ears, I’m almost 7x4cm. It's surprising that people rarely include earcup diameters in reviews, it should be included even in the technical specifications. But for normal people the HD4x8 line is over-ear.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 21
I agree with the ear cup dimensions being documented.

and lol i thought i had normal ears, but i am at 7cm. omg. 

thanx for the reply. anyone else having experience on any of these?

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 21
sorry for being so insistent guys, but i really want to make a decision soon, as i don't have anything to use for my pc and keep using the akg k44 at the radio station, which everyone uses and is not the best for me, as far as th heygiene is concerned

thanx

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 21
I have the HD 448 and i think soundwise it tops all the other in your list. They will be great for home use. I don't know how great for studio work, they are not designed for that.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 21
yes, i kinda imagined that none of them are designed for studio use, but i don't have the budget for separate ones for home and studio use and i have to settle for something

thanx for the reply

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 21
I loved my Sennhieser HD515's. They need an amp to sound their best, and they are also open, so that might change your mind. The price is absolutely astonishing: they recently became discontinued. Check amazon, they run for $50, used to be $130. They sound excellent and are quite comfy. My current favorite portables are my Sony MDR-XB500's. EXTREMELY comfy, light wieght, and nice sound quality (bass is emphasized, but doesn't muddle the high's) They run at about $60, no amp required.   

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 21
I've come to understand that these pairs don't suit my criteria, but i cannot exceed my budget by much so either i'll have to settle with worse performance in the studio or find something a little bit more expensive than the senns 448 that will do the job in the studio.

any reccomendations either from these four or something else guys?

please help with your experienxe.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 21
i've decided to buy the senns 448, although i did not have much help from you guys

let's hope i don't get a reply after i buy them, suggesting something more suitable and maybe a better buy.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 21
If the HD448 suits you fine, enjoy it.

Just one question: have you used the search option? (There is an abundance of impressions and opinions to be found in the various threads made through time of which some are still active and you can still chime into those. Acix' thread devoted to the K702 for instance.)

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 21
well the thing is i don't know if it will suit me fine, that's why i decided to publish the post. i have already read many of the reviews on these headphones, but the post is really about choosing one of these, or another suggestion (on a strict budget), for the two uses i want it the pc and the radio studio. so ti is not really about learning about the headphones but rather wanted to know if someone else had used one of these in these circumstances, or any other, in these circumstances.

the problem is that there is no place i can try these out and decide. and if i buy them i cannot return them

so that was what this was about. i don't complain though, many have read the post, but obviously no one had the same needs on a similar budget.

anyway, nevermind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back