Help in repairing a speaker.
Mar 25, 2006 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I wanted to buy a pair of B&W rear speakers, namely the 601, for my HT. And I got a great deal on used ones on eBay.

Look what I got:

Pic 1
Pic 2
How it should look like. (The other one)

Yea...one of them is damaged obviously. The tweeter has fallen inside of the box. I already contacted the seller, who's given me a positive feedback alright, and I'm waiting for a response. However I'm thinking that it wasn't his fault and that the transport of the item did this.

Is there anything I can do to "repair" it? Opening up the box? Where? Any diyers that could help me out here?

EDIT: I felt like I needed to make another thread here just before someone answered in my original thread, sorry for that. Here is the original thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171000

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 8
B&W's are often hard to open they typically hide their screws especially on the upper end speakers. With the 601s if there aren't any screws at the back pull out the bass driver. They often hide some means of opening them behind it.

While you're in there check how much dacron is dampning the inside of the speaker. The 602s and 603s I've opened had so much dacron in there that no air could move between the bass unit and the port. This resulted in a driver which didn't move much even at high volumes which is a pity since they have a huge extention range. Try pulling some out, it gave the 602s a huge bass response.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 8
That's quite odd. You'd think the tweeter would be screwed to the waveguide, rather than glued on. In any case, you should post a question on the Madisound forum. Someone there would be most likely to be able to answer this.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Ok, I found the three pieces that were broken off from the plate of the tweeter, and the inner of the box holding the tweeter. If I could reach that place better now, I could glue those 2 pieces back on, and smack the tweeter back in its place.

I ought to reach it through the front, but it seems, even though there are screws, that the woofer is glued or something onto the friggin box. I see the tweeter holder well from the back, but even with my hand fitting I wouldn't be able to see well enough what I'd be doing.

EDIT: Managed to remove it, there were other hidden screws that held it.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 8
So I managed to get the whole thing apart.

parts.JPG

You can see here where the tweeter's plate is broken, and since I have the fitting piece I could glue it back on. The same goes for the inside of the box, 2 pieces are broken off from the mechanism that locks the tweeter in place. I could easily glue them back on.

Here a picture of that: *click*

The broken place is located on the bottom left of that ring-like thing.

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Use a 5 min epoxy resin and it won't ever come off again. ... EVER
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Lol, thanks guys.
tongue.gif

I'll show you the final result, whenever I get to it, and whenever my cables arrive...I'm busy writing and studying nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back