Help - iMod+Vcap or S638F for SQ?
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

callmevil

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Ive been posting alot of questions since i joined head-fi.. now i got another query.. ive been reading alot about the iMod+Vcap combo and also about the S638F Sq.. Can anyone help me on which have better audio quality??

my amp is a LDMK1+ (Lisa III will be added soon), and my headphones are 03' DT880 / DT990pro..

thanks

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Different beasts here.
The iMod+v-cap is HUGEEE, using 2 cables while the S638 is purely portable. If you think you are able to carry those stuffs, go with the iMod. I personally will grasp the S638f because that's what I call portable and the player itself doesn't sound bad at all.
I built the amp and the caps dock put in the mint tint boxes but they're still huge. So crazy to carry these around so I threw them for brother to play around.
3066538360_8ab65f7c84_b_d.jpg

3065696943_a03dd2f708_b_d.jpg

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 9
EDIT: sorry, I thought you were looking for a portable solution. I didn't read the op with enough care. As you seem to own a big rig for home, my reply doesn't apply to you.

Anyway, it was...

I'll give you my take.

The iMod will be surely superior, theorically. The iMod with Stax SRS-005 trashes any other mp3 player in clarity and sound separation.
Anyway, if you are going for the iMod, you are not planning to use a Stax setup in the first place (and would be better set with a DIY dac, like the Alien or the upcoming Gamma1, for stationary listening).
For real life, I mean portable items, you are not going to enjoy the iMod Vcap quality: current portable amps suck in my opion. By this, I mean that they don't deserve their price tags quality wise over the integrated amps most good mp3 players. Also, 99% of IEMs (all universal IEMs, probably) aren't going to improve like a Stax setup would.

If you plan on carrying an Audiocats-modded SR-001 MkII electrostatic setup (portable amp + headphones), I'd suggest you to get the iMod. Anyway, the lack of isolation of such setup would make things useless again. Otherwise, for IEM purpose (and with current portable amps), the iMod is an useless choice. This is why I sold mine.

Sorry if I am trumping your expectations, but you wanted a honest reply, and this is what I can tell you, without making it more pleasant than it should be.

Go for the Sony.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 9
wow thanks for those perspectives Lil Knight / Antony.. hmm well i am going to lug them around though.. im just gonna put them in my targus bag since i have it on me anywhere i go anyways.. so size is not really much of an issue. i need them to have batteries and sound good.. heh

I wont be going the Stax route yet as i am still new to headphiling.. I worry i may not appreciate a Stax as much as i should when i understand things better..

Im paranoid with things being in my ear so.. no IEMs as well.. haha

so vcap + iMod = far superior sq.. dangit. anyone selling the whole set in 1 bundle?? hehe

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Look for a DIY iMod (also called diyMod). Same thing, a lot cheaper.
Also look for DIY'ed V-cap docks. Stevenkelby makes great ones. They are a lot cheaper than ALO ones, and identical SQ-wise.

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by callmevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thanks for those perspectives Lil Knight / Antony.. hmm well i am going to lug them around though.. im just gonna put them in my targus bag since i have it on me anywhere i go anyways.. so size is not really much of an issue. i need them to have batteries and sound good.. heh

I wont be going the Stax route yet as i am still new to headphiling.. I worry i may not appreciate a Stax as much as i should when i understand things better..

Im paranoid with things being in my ear so.. no IEMs as well.. haha

so vcap + iMod = far superior sq.. dangit. anyone selling the whole set in 1 bundle?? hehe

I don't think you're called new here when you decide to go for the iMod.
FYI, the iMod is only sold by RWA. There is one called diyMod which is supposed to have the same mod but no official confirmation about this yet. This cheaper though.
As Tony said above, Steve does make the dock and I highly recommend him for the dock. His works are always awesome.

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 9
You might want to ask joneebi (or jooneboi, can't remember) if he can mod your iPod, or if he can point you to someone able to do the mod. It's also possible that Stevenkelby is able to do it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back