Help! I'm indecisive.
Aug 11, 2009 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mattman5465

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been using cheap headphones for years. But, obvisously, I'm looking for some new cans. I currently use a generic ofice headset for most things, which squeezes my head and hurts me after about thirty minutes. I want to buy something under $100. My only issue is, I will be using them for just about everything. Mainly gaming and metal music, but I have a very diverse taste in music, and listen to all genres. This has made my headphone research journey irritating and I'm hoping for some personalized reccomendation for headphones that would be decent for just about anything.
EDIT: I forgot to mention I need a closed headphone, as In my current living situation it's very noisy during the day, and I have to keep very quiet at night.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 14
The new SHURE's will be nice choices.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 14
The most recommended closed phones under 100 seem to be:

-Shure SRH-440
-Sony MDR-V7506 or V6
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or ATH-ES7
-Denon AHD-1001
-Ultrasone Edition 8
-Sennheiser HD-25 II (used price will be under 100)

Sorry I haven't heard any of these personally, but this will be a good place to start your search.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 14
ATH-ES7 are a nice set of cans for portable use, I don't think they are comfortable enough for long sessions though - like all day. So if you want something to spend lots of time in I wouldn't recommend them (and you need to flex the band a bit when you get them as it clamps like a vice). They have a very fun sound sig and a nice punchy bass though!

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 14
Aug 11, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I was just throwing that in there to see who is paying attention.

Haha, it certainly got me awake. As always, my recommendation goes to the Denons. The Sennheisers are great too, but I'd be surprised if someone can get a pair for that cheap, even used. A lot of first time buyers are more hesitant to go used, at least in my own experience. I could very well be wrong.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-ES7 are a nice set of cans for portable use, I don't think they are comfortable enough for long sessions though - like all day. So if you want something to spend lots of time in I wouldn't recommend them (and you need to flex the band a bit when you get them as it clamps like a vice). They have a very fun sound sig and a nice punchy bass though!

I agree with everything already said here. I can't listen to ES7's for more than an hour before my head or ears start to hurt (due to pressure), but when they're on, I'm having fun.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon 1001

Thirded. They are very nice with metal. Very, very nice with metal. Also, they are light, comfy (as long as your ears aren't huge) and play very well out of an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back