Help! I'm about to buy the Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings Set
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had my finger on the trigger many times in the past year since I learned it was on yourmusic.com for $60. I had the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (the one with the crop circles on the front) and I loved it. My CDs were stolen a few years ago and those discs were in there with them. That's when I switched to using a HD based DAP and now I leave my CDs at home! Before it was stolen I ripped the set to 128kbs mp3s (I know what was I thinking) to put onto a single CD to play on my friends car stereo. Well that's the only copies I have left and I've been meaning to replace those for a long time but never have.

Should I get the Complete Studio Recordings (59.99) or just get the Boxed Set again (23.96)?

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 20
While you're at it, check out the 'how the west was won' 3 cd set...amazing live recording considering it's age.

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 20
i say just buy the studio albums seperately. same price, better packaging. and you can skip some lesser albums (Coda, may In through the out Door)

The 4 cd box is DEFINITELY not enough.

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Honestly, I could care less about the packaging... All my CDs sit in a stack next to my computer and gather dust anyways. The only Led Zeppelin I have ever owned has been that Boxed Set. I would have to judge if I didn't like those albums for myself, although I trust the opinions of head-fi members on such matters more than I would anyone else.

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 20
yourmusic.com isn't pushing this set hard at all. Did you read their review?

Quote:

Collecting all of Led Zeppelin's groundbreaking studio albums (as well as a reworked "Coda") in one unattractive box, "The Complete Studio Recordings" is only necessary for hardcore fans wishing to replace their old records. Although the artwork inside the package is lavish, the box features no new material, making it irrelevant for those who already own the first two box sets. The music here is brilliant, but it's available in better, more attractive, and less expensive packages. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

My introduction to Zepplin was through the original albums and prefer to listen to the music in the order they were originally placed. If you've never gone through the albums, then I would recommend that path. For what it's worth, I have the box set also and it is a great compliation. But if you loved the box set, do you self a favor and get a handful of CD's. I'd start with II, IV, Zoso, III, and what ever everyone else recommends (which is probably the remaining CD's).

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Get the complete studio recordings.

EDIT: 6,000th post

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 20
I got the Complete Studio Recordings box set for Christmas and I couldn't be happier with it. I enjoy owning each CD and have listened to them plenty of times. If you do not care about the original casing then I'd say go for it... I wasn't disappointed at all.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 20
I think I've been determined to buy this all along. I'm gonna wait a little while longer, because I've already spent a lot of money on non-essential CRAP this month.

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 20
Get the whole studio recordings, those 10 albums are a must in any collection....BTW BMG carries the whole collection of them in case you want to go cheap....maybe you can go even cheaper than 60.00

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 20
$60!!! holy cow, pick that up!

I've had the complete studio recordings for a few years, got it as a gift. I didn't have any of the individual albums on CD before I bought it, so for me it was great. The sound quality seems good to me, but I haven't heard other versions. It's definitely one of the mainstays on my playlist.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 20
A friend of mine had the complete box set a few years ago. I borrowed it to put some cassette tapes(!?!) together. IMHO, the sound was excellent. I must say that when you think of Zep, you think of swagger and sex and bombast and smashing up hotel rooms and the epitome of rock excess. But having all the music concentrated in that box reminded me that a) they wrote so many really fine songs and that b) technically, they were quite proficient.

It's easy to lose sight of their excellent craft in the face of all the excess. The boxed set is wonderful. Enjoy it.
580smile.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 20
SQ has plusses and minuses. For the most part is pretty good, but I can't believe he nipped the beginning of...I forget which track, "Black Dog"? "Immigration Song"? It doesn't sound nipped (he only nipped some intro noise), so it's a surmountable problem, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back