help identifying an earmax pro
Jun 11, 2002 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
After 5 very very long gruelling month of waiting from stoneaudio UK I have finally received my earmax pro order.

First thing i noticed is that it came in a muddy grey case with the word Brocksieper engraved on it. There is no indication of whether its a pro or the regular. though the box and order has the word Earmax Pro written on it. the PSU has no writing on it either.

Checking the tube, the center says ECC81 and the two outer tube Tesla TD10. From what I have read, the pro is meant to have a 12AT7 in the middle and 2DJ8s on the side.

SO, did they sent me the regular Earmax? Have they screwed me once more to be sure. *fumes building*

HELP!

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 11
that's comforting.. coz my one is blue but what's the deal with the tubes??

arent they meant to be 12AT7 and 6DJ8.

are the 12AT7 and ECC81 exchangable? and 6DJ8 and TD10 exchangable?

btw: i know next to nothing about tube rolling.

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
are the 12AT7 and ECC81 exchangable? and 6DJ8 and TD10 exchangable?

I think ECC81 is the european eqiuvalent of the 12AT7. Don't know about the 6DJB vs TD10 though...

But it seems that you got the Pro version afterall.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 11
My EarMax Pro came with a pair of Tesla TD10 's in the 6dj8 (euro desig ecc88) sockets, so we match there. You can also interchange these tubes with the 6922/e88cc (premium) and the 7308/e188cc (ultra). But we shouldn't talk about tuberolling yet, should we...
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Ecc81 is the euro designation for the 12at7. The premium 12at7 is the 6201 (ecc801s).

The power supply should connect to the EMP with a Lemo receptacle, which the EM does not have, in addition to the blue LED.

I *do* have a small plate on the top of my EMP which reads EarMax - Pro, on the corner opposite the volume knob. I guess that you don't have one there.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 11
LarryS, no small plate here but what a relieve my EMP journey is *almost* complete! now on to tube rolling!

Anyone got any spare Earmax Pro tubes for sell? Sylvania Gold?

hey, might as well. no point in waiting.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

----------------------------------------
short history in time of the EMP
----------------------------------------
Early Feb - EMP ordered, stock available, MONEY DEDUCTED
End Feb - no stock, waiting shipment
Mar - no stock.. but coming soon
End Mar - no stock.. but stock coming
Early Apr - no stock.. but coming very soon!
Mid Apr - request to cancel order and refund money
End Apr - refund processing
Early May - refund coming soon
End May - refund coming, promised

Early June;
me: Has refund been processed yet? *yawn*
Seller: no but we will process it through today!
me: mmm....
Seller: sorry about the delay, we just got some EMP in too.
me: you got an EMP now? in storage? in stock? in your hand?
Seller: yes.
me: SEND IT RIGHT OVER!

received 1.5wk later.
good packaging and as promised but just a tad longer than expected.

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Toaster...

...and how is the sound of your Earmax (Pro)? I'm asking because I myself am waiting for one (in blue!).... I have to wait because the manufacturer first has to serve all those greedy Americans with a series of 110 volts devices...

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jun 12, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 11
its definitely a big improvment on the porta corda running off 20v wall wart, different league. Both the Grado and HD580 has opened up considerably but the treble is rolled off and not as sweet as id expect from a tube amp.

I believe that's the fault of the stock tube and Ill be getting some new tubes asap. I am sure that'd make a big improvement on the EMP.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back