help id a piece of classical music
Nov 28, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 9
That's Dvorak's "New World" (9th Symphony 4th Movement).... I absolutely love this piece
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: And I apologize for the seven minute wait in getting an answer... they must all be napping here at Head-fi
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 9
This Telarc recording by the L.A. Philharmonic should be top-notch as are all Telarc Recordings in my experience; however, I don't have any idea how good the performance itself is, though there are short RealAudio samples on the site. I can't really recommend any performances as I don't know the performers of the various mp3s I have of this piece. Though I am sure someone here will be able to help you with this
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening!

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey dp, do you happen to have the Fischer recording that I recommended? What do you think of it?

Next time I buy more music, I think I'll pick up that Bernstein one that you recommended. The 9th is certainly a great symphony to have more than one recording of.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 9
radrd,

No, I haven't hear the Fischer recording, but it sounds interesting
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a big fan of Dvorak's Symphony No. 8 as well (its actually my favorite Dvoarak symphony), so I may just have to pick this one up for comparison.

I have versions of the 9th by Szell (don't really care for), Giulini (pretty good, but too slow), and Levine (horrible sound, pretty good performance). Bernstein's version is just so much more musical in my opinion--the phrasing and nuances, as well as the balancing of the orchestra. It's also fiery when it should be
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Quick check of my collection shows 6 Dvorak 9th symphonies, I have owned a few more over the years but have not kept them.
Here is my list and my favorite:

Davis/Phillips Duo (7,8,9 sym)
Kertesz/Decca
Kondrashin/Decca
Dohnanyi/Decca
Neumann/Supraphon

Kubelik/DG Double (7,8,9 sym) or DG Originals (8,9 sym)
This is my top choice overall, available in many combinations at reduced price. Also DG has complete set of Dvorak symphonies with Kubelik at budget price.

Fischer does not have a lot of recordings out, I have heard of him but have no CDs with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back