Help hooking up Rega Mira
Feb 10, 2006 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to make a long story short as I will post more details later. I am hooking up a new Rega Mira amp and have to wonder what Rega was thinking when they designed their speaker binding posts for the amp. I have my speakers bi-wired and they were a bare wire connection on my previous amp. The Mira's posts are WAY TOO SMALL to fit the wires in their holes!! What do Mira owners recommend - bananas plugs? Also, for those wh believe in a break-in time for amps, what is recommended for this amp? I need to spend a bit more time with the Mira to get to know its sound better, but I already miss my old tube amp.
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 4
I am pretty sure I used banana plugs with my Mira 3. I find them to be the easiest to use. When you say your speakers are bi-wired do you mean you have 4 leads going into each speaker and 2 (for each speaker) into the Mira or do you have 4 on each end of the speaker wire? If you have your speakers bi-wired you should only have a single lead for each channel into the amp. If you have 4 on each end then it sounds like the speaker wire is for bi-amping your speakers, which requires another amp. I hope this makes some sense.

Remeber, I told you it would not soudn tube like, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I am pretty sure I used banana plugs with my Mira 3. I find them to be the easiest to use. When you say your speakers are bi-wired do you mean you have 4 leads going into each speaker and 2 (for each speaker) into the Mira or do you have 4 on each end of the speaker wire? If you have your speakers bi-wired you should only have a single lead for each channel into the amp. If you have 4 on each end then it sounds like the speaker wire is for bi-amping your speakers, which requires another amp. I hope this makes some sense.

Remeber, I told you it would not soudn tube like, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for coming to the rescue! The bi-wire is 4 into two as you have stated in the former. I called Rega's distributor this morning and they also recommended bananas. Unfortunately, when I turned the unit on this morning, I noticed a very low level buzz/hum coming from the unit itself. Rega said this was normal at close distance due to the torroidal power transformers, but I never had this problem with my Arcam amp. Did your Mira have a slight noise when operating?

And yes, you did warn me that it would not sound like a tube amp. I am willing to give it some time, but I miss those lush sounds and the power at low volumes. Time will tell.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Thanks for coming to the rescue! The bi-wire is 4 into two as you have stated in the former. I called Rega's distributor this morning and they also recommended bananas. Unfortunately, when I turned the unit on this morning, I noticed a very low level buzz/hum coming from the unit itself. Rega said this was normal at close distance due to the torroidal power transformers, but I never had this problem with my Arcam amp. Did your Mira have a slight noise when operating?

And yes, you did warn me that it would not sound like a tube amp. I am willing to give it some time, but I miss those lush sounds and the power at low volumes. Time will tell.

To be honest, I don't recall a low level hum but it's been a while. I will check it out later at my friends store. He has one on display.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back