Help! Headphones or IEM for 24 hour comfort and no jaw pain
Jun 23, 2018 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Keyboarder

New Head-Fier
HeadFi, Please help my ears and my jaw!

For my job I often travel in excess of 24 hours straight.

My first "perfect earbuds" that absolutely nailed it for me were UE Triple Fi 10 and I went through 3 pairs of them, multiple cords and countless comply memory foam tips.

I tried UE900s IEMs (basically the Triple Fi replacements) and despite coming with a million ear bud tips, I never found them to be as comfortable or as good sounding as my Triple Fi 10s were. I just couldn't wear them all day like I could the others and have been largely disappointed with them.

After much research and testing I thought I found the ultimate solution which also included noise canceling and battery life well over 30 hours - the Sony 1000XM2. I can't say enough good about them - sound, battery, NC is excellent... but found wearing for extended flights led to jaw issues. I have TMJ probs with my jaw already and whenever I wear these they really screw me up bad.

Is there some perfect IEM or over the ear headphone out there that doesn't interfere with jaw issues, provides seriously extended listening comfort over 24 hours and will satisfy the audiophile in me? Preferrably with active noise cancelling since I've been spoiled by that now with these Sonys.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't believe there is any standard headphone or IEM with guaranteed 24-hour comfort, personally. That is just a long time to be wearing anything in or on the ear. My suggestion, given all the difficulty you have had, would be an old-style ear bud such as a VE Monk + or a Shozy Cygnus. I think those would provide extended comfort for you while still sounding pretty good. Lastly, there is always the possibility of a custom, which could, theoretically, work as well, given the excellent fit they by definition possess.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 7
The most comfortable for me are the Sennheiser IE80 because they have a very short nozzle that just sits in the bowl of the ear. I can barely feel them when they're on. The Bose IEMs sit similarly.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 7
My experience with "old style" ear buds has not been a good one. For me, the hard plastic creates discomfort and I have to increase volume very loud to block out background noise so they wouldn't be an option for extended travel in noisy environments. But they are good for day to day tasks where I want to hear my surroundings like at home.

The Sennheiser IE80 looks comfortable.

I really wish they still made the Triple.Fi 10's and just added noise cancelling to them.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 7
"old style ear buds" are terrible. They're hard plastic, non-ergonomic and create pressure points after wearing them for a while.
The Sennheiser IE80 looks interesting. Pretty promising actually.

I really wish they still made the Triple.Fi 10's and just added noise cancelling to them.

Serman005 was giving you advice, that was pretty rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back