Help getting into microcontrollers
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 26
another vote for the arduino (lol).

I less than 2 weeks I got a full digital volume control, PGA chip driver (thanks error401!), sony IR remote receiver logic, a wireless X10 power interface, a rotary encoder/arrow keys, and even some other nice software features done. I never used controllers before other than a short stint with a basic stamp.

3403117435_2001c13772.jpg

I never did any PIC work and went right to the atmel/arduino stuff.

for a first timer, maybe check out the 'lady ada' stuff (that's where I got mine). the usb boarduino is small, cheap and has .1 pin spacing and 'sane' pin numbers for prototyping.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another vote for the arduino (lol).

I less than 2 weeks I got a full digital volume control, PGA chip driver (thanks error401!), sony IR remote receiver logic, a wireless X10 power interface, a rotary encoder/arrow keys, and even some other nice software features done. I never used controllers before other than a short stint with a basic stamp.

3403117435_2001c13772.jpg

I never did any PIC work and went right to the atmel/arduino stuff.

for a first timer, maybe check out the 'lady ada' stuff (that's where I got mine). the usb boarduino is small, cheap and has .1 pin spacing and 'sane' pin numbers for prototyping.

linuxworks you have any writeup detailing that little project? I have a similar concept I have been toying around with and just wondering what things you did. I really would like to find an encoder with a builtin haptic system in it. a company use to make one but they discontinued it.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #18 of 26
I intend to release code but am still working on it, pretty much every day now. when things settle (and I don't keep redoing so much of it) then it will be ready for public consumption
wink.gif

features and UI style is changing a lot, though, and it needs to settle down before I throw the code out for public comment/review/use.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #19 of 26
some good advice here. From looking over the arduino a few times, I really wish I could do all my homework on that. I'm actually really fascinated with the PIC architecture though, its very raw. unless you're really interested in every single bit and byte, just go arduino!

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 26
You want to have a lot of fun, check out the Motorola HC11 series of microcontrollers. They use a Von Neumann arch like a standard PC uses and have a complex instruction set. The PIC is a reduced instruction set and uses a Harvard arch. Personally of those 2 I like the PIC. Much easier to remember 30 some odd opcodes over 300+ and knowing that each and every opcode uses just 1 clock cycle makes timing so much easier.

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #23 of 26
On the 16f87x there are call, goto, btfss, incfsz, etc. I'm sure many more with less constrained instruction sets. It's hardly been a while since I've even started using PICs though, so I don't really know much more than the basics of 16f87x.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 26
I just bought an Arduino from SparkFun - it has USB and it's only $30. They also make a version that's easy to plug into a breadboard for $20, but then you also need the $20 programmer cable.

You don't have to always use the whole board. Think of it this way - the microchip is the central component. The board is just there to have a convenient way to connect leads, power, and other functions. You could take the chip out (after programming it), solder power and all the I/O, etc, and have a working system without the board. The board just makes it more convenient.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 26
the lady ada (brand) boarduino is a good one. it has the crystal, reset switch, usb and ftdi chip onboard along with 2 leds for status. no extra cables needed - just the free software and a usb cable that you probably already have.

it gives .1 spacing header pins for prototyping. its almost as turnkey as you can get and still be very small footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back