[help] Full size very portable headphones
Oct 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JamesMcProgger

Headphoneus Supremus
Good day everyone.

I want a set of closed back portable 'phones, as an adept reader to this forums and after searching and reading for similar threads, I thought it'd be a nice day to register and post.

I want:
  1. Full size (if possible, if not earcup on the ear would be enough)
  2. Closed back
  3. Bellow 50$ if possible
  4. Good SQ of course, i listen to Prog rock, prog metal, classic rock and mainly all Progressive rock subgenres.
  5. I'm a basshead too, so i'd like them to have great bass boost.
  6. Portable! (and for a full size they'd have to be foldable. I think)
  7. I want it to use it mainly with a Zune 120 and a samsa clip+. right now i'm using Sony xb700, but is like carrying a pillow... tho I really like how the sound, currently no portable Amp.

Found these at amazon but, although, i had never try that brand, i know what you guys think of it. But the shape and how then fold is really what i want.

I really think I'm asking too much, but I'm here for you to prove me wrong, please.

Your help will be most appreciated. thanks in advance.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 7
JVC HA-S700 and HA-M750 are worth looking into for your requirements.

Personally I would recommend steering wide of Skullcandy as a brand but I have no idea what those particular headphones are.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 7
I have read about the JVC HA-S700 and they are right now just around 30$ plus ship at amazon.
I also read about the S900 but never understood the difference between them, and seems like the driver is 40 mm in both. and .. They both fold!
eek.gif

never tried JVC in phones. i think right now im gonna chose between the the S700, S900 or M750, and will wait to gather more info.

thank you  ljokerl

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't think the S900 is collapsible, just flat-folding. It's not full-size, either. Unless your ears are very very small it will be supraaural.  

As for the M750 and S700, they are rather different in intended application. The S700 is a consumer headphone - warm, a little mushy, generally 'pleasant'. Think of it as a Bose competitor. The M750 is a monitoring phone, albeit with boosted bass. Think of it as a budget-minded M-Audio Q40. Very neutral in tone, a little dark, dry-sounding, lots of bass, etc. I think the S700 is more comfortable and isolates better than the M750 while the M750 is sturdier and sounds better. There are reviews of both in one of the threads in my signature.

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 7
After spending 1 very prolific hour reading your reviews, and looking where to buy them (since some of the ones you mention are not available in amazon and) I found my self now in a two ways road.

1. The S700 are more comfy and have better isolation (two things I really appreciate) and are way cheaper, 30$
2. The M750 appears to be bigger (more circumaural?) in your review they are less comfy and less noise isolation than the s700, but have better SQ, and of course cost 20$ more. is the leap from 5 to 6.5 in SQ worth 20$?)
I'd be choosing one of those soon if no new contenders come in.

too bad i couldn't find where to buy those Equation Audio ones online.

thanks again ljokerl, you and your reviews have been most helpful.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 7
What happened in this thread?
biggrin.gif

just to close this thread, i got the equation RP15, very happy with it, the detachable cord and folding mechanism, makes it extremely portable, i carry it in a ATH FC700 bag and use the longer interconnect cable of my fiio e5 instead of the long thick stock cable.

The denon HP700 seems to have much potential while using them with my desktop amp, probably best HQ cans i've tried, but the fiio e5 does nothing to them and I am yet to find a suitable portable amp. without it they lack bass and i have problem assimilating the big amount of mids i get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back