Help for newbie - first pair of serious cans.. Is there something wrong with my ears? :-)
Feb 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

df182

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

A couple weeks ago i got into the idea of buying a pair of serious cans (I always used apple in ears). The first pair I tried were the m beats pro. I travel a lot hence the noise reduction looked pretty attractive to me. Luckily before buying them I did some Internet research and I realized there were better alternatives both in terms of noise reduction (see Bose qc15) or sound quality (pretty much every single pair on the market). 

I then started an endless trial journey which has led pretty much nowhere. I tried everything I mean everything (except sennheiser mm550 :frowning2: ). 

Excluding audiophile or not-really-portable models the only pair that really had my jaw dropping where the monster beats studio. I tried them for hours and I listened to every genre... House was great, hip hop was great, even melodic pop sounded fantastic to me. The only trouble I had was with Johnny cash probably due to the exacerbated bass...

Now... Is there something wrong with my ears :) ?? I read pretty much everywhere about their poor value.. Is there something I am missing? Is there a pair I mustn't have tried??

Please help I am going nuts!

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 19
either youre trying headphones that need an amp, without an amp. 

or your taste for music is very bass heavy, in that case you should be looking at ultrasone, sony, ath-m50, etc.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks!

I should have specified that my trials consisted in plugging in cans in my iPhone... Thats'the way i'll use them... 

My point is... Are the m beats studio so bad??

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 19
No, they're not that bad. It seems like you really like a lot of bass so why not get them? I mean you can get better audio quality for the price but if you like them why not? 

I've never heard them but people seem to mention the Denon if you like a lot of bass but don't quote me on that. But search around on the forum there are threads about people looking for Beats-like sound headphones. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Thanks!

I should have specified that my trials consisted in plugging in cans in my iPhone... Thats'the way i'll use them... 

My point is... Are the m beats studio so bad??

have you tried the audio technica ath-m50, denon d2000, and sony xb?

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 19
Probably your taste in music is a lot bass, which is totaly fine and nothing wrong with your ears, I would reccomend that you will try the Sony XB-500 or the XB-700, their sound signature is similiar and they much more comfortable and cheaper.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks everybody.. Looks like I hadn't tried everything yet :wink:

So if i had to choose between Mbeats pro, ultrasone hfi 780, ultrasone pro 750 or Denon D2000 which one would you suggest?

Please bear in mind that i would use them unamped.

I would also like to avoid too much leakage!

Thanks!! 

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Thanks everybody.. Looks like I hadn't tried everything yet :wink:

So if i had to choose between Mbeats pro, ultrasone hfi 780, ultrasone pro 750 or Denon D2000 which one would you suggest?

Please bear in mind that i would use them unamped.

I would also like to avoid too much leakage!

Thanks!! 

From what I have read in my extensive research, that quote alone knocks the Denon D2000 out. Have you looked into the Beyer DT770 not to sure if the 32ohm version would be to loose in the bass department.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 19
The more popular choice out of those would be the Denon, but I've been an Ultrasone fan for awhile now, though they are not much loved by a number of folks around here...

I've owned the Pro 750 for about two years now. As most headphones, they do great in many areas, but of course I believe are to be more suited towards electronica/dance/hip-hop. I'm surprised I read reviews saying these are bass light. How much bass could one really want?!

They also better seal than a D2000, as they have a reputation for some pretty serious leakage, even for a closed back.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
From what I have read in my extensive research, that quote alone knocks the Denon D2000 out. Have you looked into the Beyer DT770 not to sure if the 32ohm version would be to loose in the bass department.

I have I was pretty impressed.. then i looked myself in the mirror and i couldn't stand the view... they really look clumsy (on me at least) 
confused_face.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 19

I understand that. That is why I can't wear beats I am way to old now to be looking like I came straight out of a hip-hop video/rave. Same reason I avoid looking in mirrors with my HD598s on. Purple velour really???

Try some Ultrasones then they are very stylish headphones. (Except for the boring looking 580's)
Quote:

I have I was pretty impressed.. then i looked myself in the mirror and i couldn't stand the view... they really look clumsy (on me at least) 
confused_face.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
The more popular choice out of those would be the Denon, but I've been an Ultrasone fan for awhile now, though they are not much loved by a number of folks around here...

I've owned the Pro 750 for about two years now. As most headphones, they do great in many areas, but of course I believe are to be more suited towards electronica/dance/hip-hop. I'm surprised I read reviews saying these are bass light. How much bass could one really want?!

They also better seal than a D2000, as they have a reputation for some pretty serious leakage, even for a closed back.

Do they work well with iphones/ipods... Don't mind my ignorance but isn't 40 ohms a bit too much? 

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Do they work well with iphones/ipods... Don't mind my ignorance but isn't 40 ohms a bit too much?

Nope, anything below 100 Ohms and a high sensitivity (98dB/mW or higher) can get plenty loud with portable devices like phones or iPods.

I don't have first hand experience with the models recommended, but others like the HD 25-1's can get plenty loud with an iPhone.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:

Plugging my Pro 750's into an MP3 player, they get at a decent level of volume. But the clarity isn't quite up to par... and the bass seems a bit muddy to me. Amp certainly does tighten that all up.

Also, these headphones work surprisingly well if pairing with a receiver/ cd player with a decent headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back