Help for Christmas Phones
Nov 25, 2002 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
Argh! Help!

I'm relucant to start another "help me choose" thread, but sometimes you just need that extra little personalized recommendation/reassurance from a board member to make your decision...

So, here's the deal. I need to decide between two headphones, because Christmas draws closer and I need to know which to ask for. So ignore price. These are around the same price anyway.

The match: Beyerdynamic DT-770 VS. Ultrasone HFI-650...

I've heard lots of good things about the 770s, but the HFI-650s intrigue me and it seems not all that many people own it, or at least have reviewed it yet. As for sources, I'm planning on using an iRiver iMP-400 MP3/CD player, and a Fixup mini or Porta Corda or the like for an amp. I like how the HFI-650s look, and that they fold up is an added bonus as well. But what I'm really wondering about is...

...the sound! I listen to Punk, Emo, Metal, Trance/Techno/Dance and such, so the 770s sound like a sure bet. But what about symphonic, orchestral, classical music and the like? I've heard the 770s described as "rock phones", but do they work well for other music types? If not, I have a feeling/hope that the HFI-650s might be more well rounded. Anyways, I'm just doing guess work. So, I suppose how well rounded they are would be the selling point for me.

Thanks in advance, all.

Nov 25, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm also interested in information on the Ultrasone HiFi-650, and I'm pretty sure Kelly is working on a review that includes both the DT770 and the Ultrasone phones. Hopefully he'll have it done fairly soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm leaning heavily towards Beyer because I want mine just for rock, but the Ultrasones are interesting. If by some stroke of luck they have bass equal to the Beyer (not bloody likely) and better midrange, then we have a winner.

Rizumu
Have you considered the Beyer DT250-250? IIRC, it is supposed to be more well rounded than the DT770-250.

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 15
radrd: You know, I have considered them, but I don't really want something that's only..."okay" in each department so to speak. I've heard them described that way. That's well rounded in a bad sense...

You're right though, I don't think the Ultrasone's bass will equal that of the Beyers. =^/ I don't know if the 770s are unsuited for other music genres yet, though, so I'm still hoping this isn't a forlorn cause.

By the way, what does IIRC mean? I know I'll probably regret asking this, but I've never been able to figure it out. Most of those abbreviations are fairly obvious, but this one eludes me...
redface.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 15
I can't comment on the Ultrasone's, but I do have the 770s. I purchased them mainly for rock, but I'm surprised as to how much other music I enjoy listening to through them. I've used them for jazz and classical as well and have been quite satisfied with them. I think one can get the wrong perspective from this forum that they are terrible for jazz and classical.

If your primary music interests are "Punk, Emo, Metal, Trance/Techno/Dance and such" and you only dabble in classical, the 770s would be a great choice. If a significan percentage of your listening is classical, you may want to consider other phones.

Nov 25, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 15
Oh yes, we`re all very impatient to read Kelly`s headphone shootout. It should appear in about 10 days or so, I think.

As for the Ultrasone`s, here`s what I found at www.loopers-delight.com forum:

" These headphones impressed me so much that I bought 4 pairs last month. For TRACKING, not mixing, though. The model HFI-650

http://www.ultrasone.de

I've got *really* good speakers for mixing ;>

I was demoing headphones at the NAMM show and had a listen to Beyers, Sennheisers, and AKG's.
Honestly, these sounded better, and are very comfy, too. Plus, they have a trick hinge that lets you fold up one of the earmuffs so it seals against your head, which
solves the leakage problem when the musician only wants to listen to the phones with one ear (the headphone monitors bleeding into the hot vocal mic).

Also worth checking out are the Etymotic ER4S in-ear phones. These are really great for live recording engineers in the same room as the musicians. More than 20 dB
isolation, incredible sounding...best bass response of any headphone I've ever tried. Not very convenient for a studio musician, though, as it takes a few minutes to get
them set in your ears.

My USD.02,

Henry Heine"

It doesn`s say much, but the guy obviously loved them.
In my case, it`ll be either HFI-650, or DT250-80.

cheers, miroslav

Nov 25, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 15
Erm, what amp will you use to drive the dt770pro with?

Into the topic, I have not heard the ultrasone. So I may give you a biased opinion. Anyway I think the beter dt770pro really is the best can for rock, techno, trance. Based on reviews from some people, I can say that the ultrasone has not as much impact as the beyer. But probably it's more neutral if you want to go for jazz, classical, etc.
But if you listening taste comprises of mostly rock, the beyer dt770pro is hard to beat.,

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Guyferd: Probably a Porta Corda. I might opt for a Fixup mini, but I think I would use the DT-770s largely at home. The Ultrasones are more portable, so I might go with the Fixup mini for them since it's so small. It woud be easiest to just order a Porta Corda with the DT-770s or HFI-650s from Jan, though.

Yeah, I'm planning on using these mostly for rock and techno/trance, with soundtrack listening and some classical on the side.

Anyone know how big the DT-770s are compared to the HFI-650s? They look rather large, does anyone have a picture of either of them on someone's head?

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 15
Sweet, thanks for the beyerdynamic link. But where does it show the HFI-650 on a head on Meier Audio? Were you thinking of the HFI-2000?

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 15
Whoa, I just dug up Jan's review he posted from Headwize on the Ultrasone HFI-650...if that's not convincing I don't know what is. My gut instinct when I first saw those phones was that they were right for me. After reading that review I know they are. On my list they go...

Thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 15
did you read the reviews by dougli and kelly, also?

regardless, make sure you write your impressions. i'm glad for your choice.

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Yes, yes I did read dougli's review. But I thought kelly hadn't written his yet?
confused.gif

Thanks, I'll be sure to post what I think about them for everyone.

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 15
EDIT: N/m, I'm a moron. That's his amp review. So, what review are you referring to wallijonn?

BTW, I like your avatar wallijonn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back