Help Fix Sennheiser HD205 --Help very much appreciated
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BrainySmurf

New Head-Fier
I was handed down a pair of Sennheiser HD205 headphones. I had used them a few times before and they sound awesome to me. However, when I got them they make my music sound weird. For example, sometimes it turns every song into an instrumental version or it is really soft and will get really loud if you jiggle the cord right.

I cut off the jack and found 4 wires inside. 2 copper wires, 1 copper wire painted blue and another copper wire painted red. I removed the paint using acetone nail polish remover and fine sandpaper. Now that I have the exposed wires, I connected them in a new 3.5mm jack from radio shack. I think the colored wires are + and the unpainted copper wires are -. Note these wires are actually bunches of wires with tiny radiuses mixed in with thin fabric fibers. (I refer to ground as - and L and R as +)

Sadly, when I connect the wires in I still have the distortion problems. I connected blue and red to a + part of the jack and twisted the coppers into the - of the jack. It mostly has to do with losing the vocals. If I move the balance on my computer to all right or all left it will sound perfect. If I also connect the former red bundle to the ground (-) of the 3.5mm and the former blue to either the L(+) or R(+) I can get mono. This really confuses me since I thought the red and blue were both +??

I am thinking of cutting the wire higher and repeating the acetone procedure and rewiring again. Will that work because I don't want to keep cutting and cutting and eventually cut the whole wire to small pieces! Do I need to solder in a new wire? All I have for new wires are airplane headphones. Will those wires suffice or will I loose a ton of quality?

Your help is greatly needed and most appreciated. I really think these headphones will complement the voodoo sound on my I9000 nicely. By the way, how good is galaxy s voodoo sound to audiophiles? All I can really tell is voodoo sound makes fm radio much nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back