Help! Fix my KSC75's .. dented driver =(
Mar 24, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jesus christ people, this is capitalism, not communism. Koss doesn't HAVE to warranty their products for 1 day, but they choose to give them a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty. They're a for profit business, they know what they're doing, and one guy having his $15 headphones replaced isn't gonna put them out of business, nor is it unethical. It might be different if it was a "limited lifetime warranty" which ususally has exclusions for you breaking a product while trying to modify it. That's the beauty of Koss's policy. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I know the OP was able to fix them himself, but I had to voice my opinion on the ridiculous whining I saw. I'm glad you were able to fix em tho, Joshatdot. Waiting on that kind of stuff sucks.

It isn't whining. Have you no morals?

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jesus christ people, this is capitalism, not communism. Koss doesn't HAVE to warranty their products for 1 day, but they choose to give them a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty. They're a for profit business, they know what they're doing, and one guy having his $15 headphones replaced isn't gonna put them out of business, nor is it unethical. It might be different if it was a "limited lifetime warranty" which ususally has exclusions for you breaking a product while trying to modify it. That's the beauty of Koss's policy. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I know the OP was able to fix them himself, but I had to voice my opinion on the ridiculous whining I saw. I'm glad you were able to fix em tho, Joshatdot. Waiting on that kind of stuff sucks.

unfortunately it is unethical as the term warranty implies an assurance of quality and workmanship instead of taking responsibility of a customer's actions which had nothing to do with the original build quality. yes koss does have it budgeted, as all companies should for typical warranty work, but i doubt that their bean counters had this in mind. it won't put them out of business either but it's just unethical.

btw, what does communism have to do with this? if this were communism, we'd all be using ibuds.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #33 of 42
I agree with pinkfloyd4ever. I'm sure Koss has realized that not all headphones sent in were broken from wear and tear or by random accidents. I'm completely sure Apple understands that not all broken iPods sent in were broken by accident, and I'm sure they've taken it into consideration also.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez kramer, did every other type of tape not work or did you just feel like ripping out the drivers?
tongue.gif

All my mods/recommendations have been personally tested.. by me. I wouldn't post it if it doesn't work.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #35 of 42
The Koss warranty is no questions asked. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

That is a definitive statement. There is nothing else you need to know. I don't know why there are still people arguing against it.

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #36 of 42
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Koss replied yesterday afternoon (the day after I emailed them--very quick reply--good job Koss) but I was too busy to get onto the computer. Anyway, here's Koss' reply on the warranty question:

Thank you for contacting Koss Stereophones.

If the stereophone had been modified - such as a cord replaced (like from a
straight to coiled, or a plug difference), headband changed, etc., this
would void the warranty. No questions asked means that if you send in a
really damaged stereophone (like the vacuum cleaner ate it), we would
replace it. We can offer this warranty because we stand behind the quality
of our stereophones and we realize that accidents and wear happen.

Seems I misinterpreted it a bit, as they say it only applies to unmodified phones. It's still an awesome warranty and my hat's off to Koss for making the offer.

edit to add-Congrats to Joshatdot for fixing them yourself!

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #37 of 42
I've used it twice, once for a set of plugs (it was a long time ago) that got a bad connection in the jack plug connectiom. New pair arrived a few days later.
And once for a pair of Pro 4/AA I go off Ebay (for about $20), they arrived, but one ear was crackly, like a bad connection in the driver, sent em to Koss, got brand new Phones in a few days.
I don't think It's unethical, as neither faults were my fault as it were, both from wear and tear.

I'm hoping my A/250's never need to go back, lord knows what they'd send me as a replacement.

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with pinkfloyd4ever. I'm sure Koss has realized that not all headphones sent in were broken from wear and tear or by random accidents. I'm completely sure Apple understands that not all broken iPods sent in were broken by accident, and I'm sure they've taken it into consideration also.

Apple understands that not all broken iPods sent in were broken by accident because there really is no way to really make sure that every item sent in was indeed not the customer's [intentional] fault (meaning not the manufacturer's fault). If Apple were to really check in detail every product sent in, then they would actually lose more money, because doing that would require a lot more work, which would be expensive.

Koss' email basically said that headphones "damaged" intentionally (modding) should not be sent in, while headphones damaged accidentally (vacuum cleaner eating it) could be sent in.

If your headphones were damaged, and you didn't do anything to damage them (if it was the manufacturer's fault), send them in. If your headphones were damaged, and it was your fault, but not intentionally, then give the manufacturer a call/email them, asking if you could send them in. If you intentionally "damaged" or altered them (undesirably), then you, from a moral standpoint, should NOT send them in, even if the manufacturer basically doesn't lose any money.

I am speaking from a moral standpoint, not a business/logical one.

Sending an item back to the manufacturer when you know that it was your fault (that you intentionally altered the item) would be a self-centered action. It is only caring for yourself and not for the company or others. There are a lot of people out there that take that moral high ground. They actually really think if it is morally right to send something in, even if the company wouldn't lose a significant amount of money.

If EVERYONE took advantage (in a bad way) of customer service, you wouldn't see so many "unconditional warranties" out there.

It would probably cost Koss more money to not have a "no questions asked" warranty for the KSC-75's anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unfortunately it is unethical as the term warranty implies an assurance of quality and workmanship instead of taking responsibility of a customer's actions which had nothing to do with the original build quality. yes koss does have it budgeted, as all companies should for typical warranty work, but i doubt that their bean counters had this in mind. it won't put them out of business either but it's just unethical.

btw, what does communism have to do with this? if this were communism, we'd all be using ibuds.
tongue.gif

Ah, thank you for understanding!

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Koss replied yesterday afternoon (the day after I emailed them--very quick reply--good job Koss) but I was too busy to get onto the computer. Anyway, here's Koss' reply on the warranty question:

Thank you for contacting Koss Stereophones.

If the stereophone had been modified - such as a cord replaced (like from a
straight to coiled, or a plug difference), headband changed, etc., this
would void the warranty. No questions asked means that if you send in a
replace it. We can offer this warranty because we stand behind the quality
of our stereophones and we realize that accidents and wear happen.

Seems I misinterpreted it a bit, as they say it only applies to unmodified phones. It's still an awesome warranty and my hat's off to Koss for making the offer.

edit to add-Congrats to Joshatdot for fixing them yourself!

So if my koss cans ever get really messed up with a mod, i'll just run them over with a vacuum cleaner
tongue.gif

Wow, I didn't think this post would raise up such heated debate on Koss's warranty. I also looked deeper on their site on their lifetime limited warranty:

Quote:

Koss Limited Lifetime Warranty
English

This Koss product has a Lifetime Limited Warranty which covers normal use by the initial user or purchaser of this particular Koss product. Koss hereby warrants only to the initial user or purchaser that this Koss product will be free of any defect in materials and workmanship for the life of the product. This warranty does not apply to any INITIAL USER OR purchaser who allows this product to be used by multiple PERSONS. This warranty is the sole and exclusive warranty for this Koss product and is in lieu of all other warranties (express or implied), including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The sole and exclusive remedies available to the initial user OR PURCHASER for any defects in materials or workmanship shall be the obligation of Koss, at its sole option, to either refund the purchase price of the Koss product, or repair or replace the non-functioning or defective Koss product provided it is returned to Koss in secure packaging together with a check for $6.00 ($7.00 Canadian) to our factory at 4129 N. Port Washington Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53212. If purchased outside the U.S. contact the local Koss Authorized Dealer for details. Koss reserves the right to replace any discontinued product with one of equal value. Koss shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damages to persons or property resulting from the use of this product or any failure of or defect in this product, nor shall Koss be liable to the initial user of this product or to any other person or entity for any general, special, direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, exemplary, punitive, or OTHER DAMAGES of any kind or nature whatsoever. The repair or replacement of any non-functioning or defective product or the refund of the purchase price, at Koss' option, shall constitute Koss' only liability to the initial user or purchaser, whether such liability is based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise. Some states may not allow the exclusion or limitation of damages set forth herein in which case the above language may not apply to you. This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which may vary among states or provinces. If usage of this Koss product violates the guidelines of this limited warranty, Koss will repair the product and charge the purchaser for the cost of company time and materials.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Koss Limited Lifetime Warranty
English

This Koss product has a Lifetime Limited Warranty which covers normal use by the initial user or purchaser of this particular Koss product. Koss hereby warrants only to the initial user or purchaser that this Koss product will be free of any defect in materials and workmanship for the life of the product. This warranty does not apply to any INITIAL USER OR purchaser who allows this product to be used by multiple PERSONS. This warranty is the sole and exclusive warranty for this Koss product and is in lieu of all other warranties (express or implied), including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The sole and exclusive remedies available to the initial user OR PURCHASER for any defects in materials or workmanship shall be the obligation of Koss, at its sole option, to either refund the purchase price of the Koss product, or repair or replace the non-functioning or defective Koss product provided it is returned to Koss in secure packaging together with a check for $6.00 ($7.00 Canadian) to our factory at 4129 N. Port Washington Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53212. If purchased outside the U.S. contact the local Koss Authorized Dealer for details. Koss reserves the right to replace any discontinued product with one of equal value. Koss shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damages to persons or property resulting from the use of this product or any failure of or defect in this product, nor shall Koss be liable to the initial user of this product or to any other person or entity for any general, special, direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, exemplary, punitive, or OTHER DAMAGES of any kind or nature whatsoever. The repair or replacement of any non-functioning or defective product or the refund of the purchase price, at Koss' option, shall constitute Koss' only liability to the initial user or purchaser, whether such liability is based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise. Some states may not allow the exclusion or limitation of damages set forth herein in which case the above language may not apply to you. This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which may vary among states or provinces. If usage of this Koss product violates the guidelines of this limited warranty, Koss will repair the product and charge the purchaser for the cost of company time and materials.

Not so "no questions asked" now, eh? I've said it, and I'll say it again: This warranty is *meant* for cases whereas the manufacturer is at fault, NOT for cases where the user is at fault.

Read the bold and italic line. I rest my case.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so "no questions asked" now, eh? I've said it, and I'll say it again: This warranty is *meant* for cases whereas the manufacturer is at fault, NOT for cases where the user is at fault.

Read the bold and italic line. I rest my case.

Did you see the quote from the email I got from Koss Customer Service? Here it is again:

No questions asked means that if you send in a
replace it.

Not exactly a manufacturing defect and yet Koss states that they will replace your phones if something like this happens.

I'd say the warranty is more gray than black and white. Either way, I think it's great that Koss offers it.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #42 of 42
Yea. They're really nice people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back