Help! Fix my KSC75's .. dented driver =(
Mar 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
way to take advantage of koss' generous warranty. i'm sure that they'll take them back but it just sucks that they have to pay for repairing damage that wasn't their fault. what a nice way to pay back a company for creating such a great product.

x3

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 42
I disagree.

Koss specifically advertises it as 'no questions asked lifetime warranty.' When they made this warranty offer, don't you think they understood that some people would send in phones that were broken by the user, some even intentionally? Do you really think a major manufacturer like Koss wouldn't realize that before making the offer? I can guarantee they're not that naive. Plus, how many people are even aware of the lifetime warranty and of those people, how many will actually ever use it? I'm sure the Koss actuarials have figured all of this out in minute detail.

Also, the warranty replacement fee for KSC75's is $6. Subtract out packaging, handling and shipping costs and I'd bet they're still covering their manufacturing costs. The phones cost around $20 at full retail and are frequently sold for $10 or so. There's no way they're losing any money by replacing them for $6.

Send 'em in. That's why Koss offers the warranty.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #18 of 42
I am going to try and fix em myself, but if I can't I'll send them in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koss
Warranty or Repair within the United States

Stereophones that were purchased after July of 1989 are covered by our No-Questions-Asked Lifetime warranty.

If you have not done so, please register your stereophone by clicking here.

One you have completed registration, you may send your warranty items to our Corporation and we will repair or replace them in accordance with our Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Our address is:
Koss Corporation
Attn: Warranty Return
4129 N. Port Washington Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53212
You may also visit our Milwaukee location if you are from the area.

Please include:
$6.00 for the return shipping and handling per stereophone (money order, cashier's check, or personal check: payable to Koss Stereophones), a note describing the failure, as well as your contact information: name, return shipping address, phone number and email.

We recommend that you ship your items to Koss so your shipment is trackable. Please keep your tracking information on file. We will ship out warranty replacements within 72 hours of receipt via standard US mail or via UPS. Please allow 10-14 days for shipment delivery.
If you would like to check the status of your warranty, please call Koss Consumer Sales at 1-800-USA-KOSS.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #20 of 42
Egad... when kramer mods go wrong
frown.gif

I've used duct tape to un-dent mine before.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, how many people are even aware of the lifetime warranty and of those people, how many will actually ever use it?

I wish I knew about the warranty when mine died. The only place I know in my area that sells them is Radio Shack for $25. Just bought a pair today. I'm thinking about doing the mod. When I read about it last week I didn't have a pair in front of me so I didn't understand all of the steps. Hopefully with a pair I'll be able to figure it out.

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

I disagree.

Koss specifically advertises it as 'no questions asked lifetime warranty.' When they made this warranty offer, don't you think they understood that some people would send in phones that were broken by the user, some even intentionally? Do you really think a major manufacturer like Koss wouldn't realize that before making the offer? I can guarantee they're not that naive. Plus, how many people are even aware of the lifetime warranty and of those people, how many will actually ever use it? I'm sure the Koss actuarials have figured all of this out in minute detail.

Also, the warranty replacement fee for KSC75's is $6. Subtract out packaging, handling and shipping costs and I'd bet they're still covering their manufacturing costs. The phones cost around $20 at full retail and are frequently sold for $10 or so. There's no way they're losing any money by replacing them for $6.

Send 'em in. That's why Koss offers the warranty.

Regardless, it would still be unethical to take advantage of the warranty even if all of the dishonest cases are factored in. By doing this you are taking away from society and not giving back. Just buy another pair.

It's kind of like buying a cd from a record store. You tear off the wrapping, take out the cd, and - whoops! The cd slips out of your hand and falls to the ground. There is a huge gash in the cd. You go back to the record store and complain that the cd was scratched when you opened it. It's basically the same thing. Yea, not to the same degree, but it is still unethical.

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's kind of like buying a cd from a record store. You tear off the wrapping, take out the cd, and - whoops! The cd slips out of your hand and falls to the ground. There is a huge gash in the cd. You go back to the record store and complain that the cd was scratched when you opened it. It's basically the same thing. Yea, not to the same degree, but it is still unethical.

Not the same at all. It would be unethical if it were a standard manufacturing defects-only warranty such as other companies offer but Koss specifically designates it as "No-Questions-Asked Lifetime warranty." They're advertising it for this specific purpose. They guarantee the 'phones for life, regardless of the problem. If they had ANY qualifications on it they wouldn't call it no-questions-asked. It's a selling tool and the costs are added in to the original selling price.

I've sent an email to Koss to get their official answer on this issue. I'll post their reply when I receive it.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Not the same at all. It would be unethical if it were a standard manufacturing defects-only warranty such as other companies offer but Koss specifically designates it as "No-Questions-Asked Lifetime warranty." They're advertising it for this specific purpose. They guarantee the 'phones for life, regardless of the problem. If they had ANY qualifications on it they wouldn't call it no-questions-asked. It's a selling tool and the costs are added in to the original selling price.

I've sent an email to Koss to get their official answer on this issue. I'll post their reply when I receive it.

This will be interesting to see what they say. I am off to try the tape trick to fix mine.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will be interesting to see what they say. I am off to try the tape trick to fix mine.

good luck! i've found that scotch tape works pretty well for that since the adhesive isn't too tacky and won't damage the driver. at least it worked on an old pair of AT buds that i tried to modify.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #28 of 42
WOOT!!!! THE DUCT TAPE WORKED!!

I took a small 1/4" piece of duct tape and lightly pressed it on the dented areas and slowly pulled up, they are like new again!!

1003966sj9.jpg

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 42
jesus christ people, this is capitalism, not communism. Koss doesn't HAVE to warranty their products for 1 day, but they choose to give them a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty. They're a for profit business, they know what they're doing, and one guy having his $15 headphones replaced isn't gonna put them out of business, nor is it unethical. It might be different if it was a "limited lifetime warranty" which ususally has exclusions for you breaking a product while trying to modify it. That's the beauty of Koss's policy. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I know the OP was able to fix them himself, but I had to voice my opinion on the ridiculous whining I saw. I'm glad you were able to fix em tho, Joshatdot. Waiting on that kind of stuff sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back